Rabbit Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahid

Reaction score
I have a 10 month old dwarf female rabbit. She has been sneezing since I got her home 6 months back. I have taken her to the vet multiple times and he has prescribed anti biotics and fibreplex. We have completed the dose but it hasn't helped. There is mucus discharge which is transparent or sometimes white in color. I took her to the vet today again. He said it doesn't seem to be a serious condition since the mucus is transparent or white. Her weight has been steady, she has put on weight in a healthy manner, there has been no issues with her food, her dental health is also fine. The vet has done a complete checkup and everything seems to be fine. We also need to get her spayed and he seems to think that we can go ahead with it.
What should we do about the sneezing? has anyone had a similar experience?

How often does she sneeze? Is it a fit of a series of sneezes, and then nothing for hours? Are there certain places (litter box, hay rack) where she sneezes most of the time, or is it unrelated to where she is?

I have one doe, Ruth, that at times does quite some sneezing. Couldn't find out why, there is very little discharge if any, and nothing I wouldn't expect to come out of her nose. It doesn't seem to have any other health impact, and there are times when I don't hear a sneeze for weeks, but I'll always keep an eye on it.

Any white mucous means it's a bacterial respiratory infection, which could possibly be linked to a dental infection if a proper dental exam and xrays weren't done to effectively rule it out. So it does need treatment with the right antibiotic, in the very least.

What antibiotic was your rabbit getting, dose, and how many days was your rabbit on it? It may be your rabbit was on the wrong antibiotic for whatever bacteria is present, may not have been an effective dose, and/or it wasn't prescribed for long enough to help any. Antibiotics usually need to be given for at least 4-6 weeks minimum, when treating URIs in rabbits, as these infections can be extremely difficult to clear up.

Medirabbit: respiratory issues in rabbits

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Snuffles
If your vet isn't a knowledgeable rabbit vet, which it sounds like, since an experienced rabbit vet would know that white mucous means there's an infection that still needs treatment, then if possible I'd suggest finding a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to. @HalaBuns might have some names of knowledgeable rabbit vets in your area.

How often does she sneeze? Is it a fit of a series of sneezes, and then nothing for hours? Are there certain places (litter box, hay rack) where she sneezes most of the time, or is it unrelated to where she is?

I have one doe, Ruth, that at times does quite some sneezing. Couldn't find out why, there is very little discharge if any, and nothing I wouldn't expect to come out of her nose. It doesn't seem to have any other health impact, and there are times when I don't hear a sneeze for weeks, but I'll always keep an eye on it.
She has a fit of sneezes like 2-3 times a day. No particular place as such. The discharge is not that much. She is bonded with my older bunny and hasn't passed on anything to him in these last few months.

Any white mucous means it's a bacterial respiratory infection, which could possibly be linked to a dental infection if a proper dental exam and xrays weren't done to effectively rule it out. So it does need treatment with the right antibiotic, in the very least.

What antibiotic was your rabbit getting, dose, and how many days was your rabbit on it? It may be your rabbit was on the wrong antibiotic for whatever bacteria is present, may not have been an effective dose, and/or it wasn't prescribed for long enough to help any. Antibiotics usually need to be given for at least 4-6 weeks minimum, when treating URIs in rabbits, as these infections can be extremely difficult to clear up.

Medirabbit: respiratory issues in rabbits

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Snuffles
If your vet isn't a knowledgeable rabbit vet, which it sounds like, since an experienced rabbit vet would know that white mucous means there's an infection that still needs treatment, then if possible I'd suggest finding a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to. @HalaBuns might have some names of knowledgeable rabbit vets in your area.
The antibiotics prescribed were Baytril Enrofloxcin 2.5% and Septrin Trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole. We gave the medicines for one week. This vet has been pretty good with our other bunny. We did not want to keep giving antibiotics if there is no improvement. I am just confused what steps we should take next? and should we get the spaying done while she is going through this?

Your rabbit does definitely have a bacterial respiratory infection if there's any white snot, even the smallest amount. If there was only clear snot, then that might be different.

One week of baytril or septrin isn't nearly enough to do much of anything for a rabbit URI in the majority of cases, as it can take a week just to see the start of improvement. Like I mentioned, it usually takes 4-6 weeks minimum on the right antibiotic (plus 2 weeks past the last of the symptoms clearing up), and even then it may only knock it down temporarily if it's pasteurella, as that's very difficult to cure completely. Those antibiotics, you may not start to see improvement until 7-10 days on it, and that's only if the bacteria that's present is sensitive to the antibiotic that's being used.

I've had the best luck treating URIs with azithromycin (50mg/kg), and it starts working within a few days if it's the right antibiotic for the bacteria present. But some rabbits can have a negative reaction to it and develop severe digestive upset where it has to be stopped, so there is a risk in trying it. For my rabbits URI it took 3-4 weeks of azithromycin at the higher dose, and that's considered a much more 'heavy duty' antibiotic than baytril, and especially more than septrin.

https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=11131&id=3843938&print=1
It's up to you if you don't think it's too bad and just want to keep an eye on it. It may not ever get worse, but also be aware that untreated nasal infections can sometimes erode the nasal cavity, or develop into more severe infections that affect the lungs, eyes, and/or oral cavity.

If you do still want to get it treated, I would suggest finding another more experienced rabbit vet if possible, or asking your current vet for a longer antibiotic course. If you try baytril again, 10-14 days minimum to see if there's any improvement, then change antibiotics if there isn't, or sooner if symptoms significantly worsen while on the antibiotic.

You may even request having a culture and sensitivity test done before restarting antibiotics, to try and find what rabbit safe antibiotic will work best.

Medirabbit: antibiotics dangerous for rabbits

Medirabbit: safe antibiotics

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Back