Rabbit Pen Size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mootpoint

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a pen for my rabbit out of those wire cube panels.
Currently, she has free range of my bedroom but she is alone a lot and has started eating my drywall. I want the pen to be large enough for her to do her free range in (she would be in the pen pretty much all of the time).

Is 7 feet by 8 feet big enough? 56 square feet. She is a small rabbit, not dwarf but probably no more than 5 - 6 pounds?

It will be 28 inches high on the sides that are not against walls, and 14 inches high on the sides that are against walls.

Also, if anyone has any idea how to make a door, let me know!

28" should be high enough. Some rabbits can jump over that, so you may need to make it taller later on. I've only have 1 rabbit that was able to get out of a pen that size.
For the door, just don't connect the grids. You then need something to close it. Even though the pen I have does have a door, I just step over it unless I have to clean. The pen I have that is more temporary, I use a bungee cord to keep it closed.

That size pen should be big enough. She can still have supervised time out of the pen when you are around.

The issue is she is currently living with my parents while I am at school (in another town), so she doesn't get a heck of a lot of attention. I'd like to build her something that will ideally be large enough that she can run around, because my parents will likely only let her out to free range on weekends. The reason she needs a pen is because she is mostly alone/bored so has started eating my walls.

I will try 28 inches and if she can get out I'll just add another level of panels :)

Back