Rabbit over grooming - help pls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tas

Reaction score
So 11 days ago my rabbit got fixed and came home with stitches. Overnight he ended up pulling those stitches out so he had to go back in to get restitched. To prevent him from pulling them out again, the vet put him in a Medical vest. However when he got home I noticed there was no space at the back for him to go toilet. I rang the vet and she said it’s fine as long as his tail is sticking out. So I took her advice and left it on. After about 5 hours I noticed he’s unable to poop and pee so I called emergency vet and they told me to take it off and put a e collar on him. The residue of him wearing a vest got stuck on his fur but I was too scared to let him clean himself in case he pulled out his stitches. The vet told me to keep him in a cone for 10 days. During those 10 days I tried to spot clean him but he’s a very fidgety bun and wouldn’t stay still. Today marks 10 days so I took off his collar. He’s been cleaning himself for nearly 2 hours focusing on his legs and bottom area and his fur has become damp. He’s also trying to pull his fur out because it’s become slightly matted. Not too sure what to do. Whether to let him clean himself or give him a little bath with a little water.

I would give him a butt bath.

I use a container just high enough so that I can rest his front legs and breast on a hard pillow outside without the rim pressing on his breast, and somthing on the bottom of the container to give him traction, like a rubber mat (cut up an old car foot mat) or towel. I use those workshop storage thingies with 3 high sides and a low one, just big enough to fit his rear and my hand in. Use body warm water, keep working on any stuck poop until it gets lose. Second person might be of help, but I do it alone (on the floor, just in case). Keeping one hand over his head and eyes works best for me to keep him from struggling.

I towel him dry as good as poissible, than use paper kitchen roll to get even more moisture out, then most of the rest with a hairdryer at low to medium heat - always keep your hand in the jet to feel if it gets too warm. Don't overdo it, or give him breaks, it's just to get him reasonable dry, doesn't need to be perfect if he's indoors in a heated room.

There are some good youtube videos on how to do a butt bath, didn't watch this video but those two usually give good advice:

My poor boy always appreciated being clean again.

Back