rabbit molting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honey_bunny

Reaction score
my rabbit, abe my holland lop is molting. helooks just horible. and the hard part is i am allergic to rabbits. iwill not go to the extreme of getting rid of them, i love them to much.is there any tips on how to help the molting? how long does it normallylast? this is his first molt. the hard part is that with my allergies,i can't hold any of my rabbits when they are molting. so far carmal hasmolted, so i just have one and a half rabbits to go.

Could you try wearing a particulate mask (thefiber ones that cover your nose and mouth) so you can brushthem? That's the only way to really help.

I've found the Zoom Groom brush for cats is great for getting out loads of undercoat fur and it can really help.

Otherwise, make sure they're eating lots of hay and have normalpoops. Have you ever fed them canned pumpkin as atreat? It really helps if their poops get small and hard orif they have lots of fur in their poop. It provides somefiber and gets more water in their systems which makes everything workbetter.

I too suffer from allergies to my dear bunniesand I refuse to give them up either. Granted they are outside bunnies(because my dad suffers from severe allergies to them) but handlingthem causes my eyes to water non-stop and nose to run. In the springit's almost impossible to handle them because it feels likeIhave a really horrible head cold.

All you can do for yourselfis to brush them consistently,vacuum lots, wash hands frequently, and take some sort of allergy med.I take Reactine because it works for me but you may need to try anumber of ones until you find one that works.

As for how long it lasts, wellboth of my bucks has beenshedding since March non-stop. This was a really bad year for sheddingthough. My does is shedding now because she's getting her winter coatin.

It really depends on the rabbit and the climate on how long it takes to moult.

thanks everyone. my rabbits live in our garagebut they get out sometimes. we even leave our doors open so they canget air in there. when its nice outside i put them out in the shade.

wow, didnt know they shed that much or that long.

whenever i hold them or brush them i just feel all ichy and my nosedoesnt stop running. why do i have to be alligic to sometimes i lovemost? i am also allergic to long haired dgs like my golden retriever.it doesn get bad with my lab though. my golden lilly is an outside dog( i do try to sneack her into my room at times )and my lab flip is ahouse dog. but i will try advice about getting a mack, that should helpalot. thanks so much everyone

Latest posts

Back