rabbit found

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vpink

Reaction score
Hello, My son and husband just found awhite rabbit. Weird, it was roaming around in ouryard. We asked the neighbors, and no one knows anything.:shock:

So...I'm clueless. :shock: The kids want to keep it. :? I have no idea if it's a boy or a girl.

If it's sick or well. Looks well. We gave it water andit sucked it up.

HELP....:shock:

I think pet smart would be a great place to start.

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.:)

The kids have cleaned out our old but very large dog kennel and put some cedar into it for the rabbit.

Is this the wrong thing to do?

Thanks again.

Don't use cedar. Use pinewood chips/shavings. The combination of the rabbit urineand the cedar can cause some serious problems. Probably postmore later, but saw the word "cedar". You can go to most anyfarm supply store to get the pine wood chips/shavings. I usethem in my nest boxes, also. (Lots of people use these formulch in flower gardens, etc.)

Thanks Ms. Lindvall for the tip.
I appreciate it.

Blessings to you.

Hi vpink,

Delores is right. Cedar is very harmful to rabbits. There are differenttypes of litter you can use other than pine shavings as well.Personally, I use a product called Yesterday's News which is pelletsmade of recycled newspaper. Buck Jones uses a product called Woody PetAnimal Bedding which is three different types of wood, I believe, madeinto pellet form. It's much cheaper than Yesterday's News and when Ican get it, I do. It's found at most Tractor Supply Company storesand/or horse and pet supply places. Some use cat litter, but I've notedthe things to be cautious of about that below.

Go to a feed store to buy a good quality pellet for the rabbit. Somenames would be Purina, Nutreena, OxBow, Heinold, Blue Seal...prettymuch what is supplied by a feed store is okay. You don't want to havethe colorful type of food as they're usually rich in sugar being verybad for your rabbit's system. Look for something in the area of 12-16%protein and 18-20% fiber.

Generally recommended, the amount given should be:

2-4 lbs. of body weight: 1/8 cup daily
5-7 lbs. of body weight: 1/4 cup daily
8-10 lbs. of body weight: 1/2 cup daily
11-15 lbs. of body weight: 3/4 cup daily.

or an oz. per lb.

Make sure he/she has plenty of fresh water. Waters the most importantingredient in their diet, along with a good pellet food and TimothyHay. Timothy Hay keeps the rabbit from getting blockages of fur andkeeps the digestive system flowing. Besides, it keeps them from beingbored, it's good for their teeth, and they love it. Be sure the hay hasno mold or bugs in it.

A good piece of hard wood, preferrably from a fruit tree, but see thefollowing websites for what's safe and what isn't. I use apple wood.One of our posters in Florida uses Lemon tree wood.http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html. Make sure there aren't anybugs in the wood, and if you suspect there are, you can put it in a 350degree oven for 1/2 hour to kill them. Wood is important because arabbit's teeth continually grow and they much keep them filed down forgood health and to maintain them. They chew on the wood, which takescare of overgrowth, which leads to other issues.

If the rabbit's inside, watch out for all electrical wires. They lovechewing on them and you know the result if the little one finds a livewire or chews on one without your knowing putting you in danger of afire hazard when plugged in.

I have a wire-bottom cage so that the urine and poop drops through ifthey're not using their litterbox. With a wire-bottom cage, some peopleuse cat litter as their litter. If you do, when you pour the cat litterinto the litterpan, be sure to do it far away from the rabbit becauseit can cause illness if they inhale the dust from it. I wouldn'trecommend using cat litter in a litterbox as the pieces can get caughtin between the rabbit's paws and if ingested could cause seriousillness to the rabbit. If you will continue to use the dog crate, whichis an excellent cage, you'll want a litterbox. Rabbits are mostcomfortable using high-backed or corner litterboxes.

Read one of the first two posts on the board about "Cooling a Rabbit inthe Summer months" to get an idea of temperatures, etc.

If you're in the USA, you don't have to get vaccinations for the rabbit, however in England, and I believe, Australia, you do.

A diet of vegetables/fruits could be dangerous as they have a lot ofsugar in them and it's really bad for their digestive/intestinalsystems. If you are to give the rabbit treats, do so in moderation:twice a week or so. You can refer to the list above about what's safe.

Cleanliness is most important as if a rabbit is subjected to sitting insoiled litter or a damp environment, it can develop a respiratoryinfection which is very hard to cure once the symptoms surface and ifnot acted upon quickly.

Sexing a rabbit: see http://debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

If it were wild, I'd send you to this site http://wildliferescueleague.org/report/nova_rabbit.html

Hope that'll get you started. Oh! And Welcome to the forum.
:)

-Carolyn

Hi welcome to the forum. Yourrabbit will need some kind of water dish or abottle to hangon the side of the cage. water is very importantfor rabbits. Good quality rabbit pellets areneeded. Most people on this forum buy the pellets at the feedstore. I buy Purina but there other good brands aswell. The kind they sell in the pet shops with the coloredpieces in them are not very good quality. Often they containsugary foods, which are not good for your rabbit. You maywant to buy a litter box. Rabbits usually pick onecorner in their cage that they use as a bathroom area. If youchoose to go the litter box route, do not buy cat litter. Catlitter has chemicals in it that may be dangerous to the bun.You will need to get some Timothy hay. Hay is needed toprovide roughage to keep the gut moving. Bunnies cleanthemselves much like a cat does, therefore they ingest hair.I would also recommend some rabbit books. If money is aproblem, you could check with your local library.You may haveto look in the children's section.Enjoy your newbun! :) Beckie

Beckie mentioned how they clean themselves like a cat which reminded meto let you know that it's unnecessary to bathe your rabbit. They cleanthemselves like a cat and bathing can disturb the necessary naturaloils in the skin and fur. Unless your rabbit has poop stickin tohis/her bottom, with a mild soap and water, you can spot clean thetroubled areas.

Note: Timothy Hay cannot be overfed.

-Carolyn

P.S. Let us know what you name the new King/Queen of the house. :dude:

Short ears? May be a dwarf, or partdwarf. I have dwarf Hotots. Usually they have theblack eyes and the "mascara smudge" around the eyes.....shortears. Once in a great while, I will get a bunny with theshort ears of the dwarf, but it will have pink eyes andno mascara smudges.

Somebody probably bought a bunny for their kids for Easter.....gottired of taking care of it, and let it go. Howcruel! This bunny sounds like it turned up in the rightyard. Good luck.

You read my mind in your last paragraph, Delores Lindvall. :? I think you're dead-on, but maybe the little one just escaped.

-Carolyn

Just thinkin. Um check it over for any cuts and stuff like that. Or even fleas.
Cos when some owners find their rabbit does have somethingwrong with it they get rid of it. If you do find anything take it toyour vet and get it checked out because rabbits can be very discretewhen they're in pain so you may think its fine but it could be very ill.

If your at all unsure or are not confident enough to check it over yourself take it to the vet anyway to get it checked over.

Hope this helps.
Love 4rm loz n ebony and fidget
xoxoxxo
Ps Welcome aboard!

Hello Ms. Carolyn,

YOU ROCK:dude:.

What a big help you've been. We did get the litter/beddingwith multiple wood in it. We also got some premium/longevity healthfood with. Alfalfa with fiber too.

Wow...what an instant change when we gave FLUFFY the food and new bedding.

Thank you...thank you...thank you..

All 4 of my children are squeeling with glee.

With much gratitude.

Vi.

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback. We are overwhelmed with the quick responses.

This is a fabulous site and we are very excited about our new family member.

Vpink

Glad to know we don't have to bath him. We almost screwed up.

My son was convinced a good bath would do wonders.

So glad we waited.

Fluffy is doing better already. Much more active than when brought home.

Still don't know if Fluffy is a girl/boy...

Will get my nerve up to find out soon.

Wish me luck.

Vpink

how sweet of you to take it in! i found my bunnythe same way. and it was maybe a week or so after easter. many peoplethink a bunny is so cute but then they find out all the work involvedand they dont want to commit that much and so they discard the rabbit.very sad. but atleast theres people like you and me and many others outthere to help these poor bunnys! congrats on the new fa,ily member andwelcome to the board! ive learned so much here and so will you. feelfree to ask any questions, no matter how small! i know that littlebunny will bring so much joy to your life! i know mine has! :D

I just want to say that I think you are doingsuch an awesome thing. You have opened your heart and your home toFluffy. I'm sure Fluffy is going to reward you with years of love andlaughs. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Tina

If the little one did escape, you can look inthe papre in the lost and found section. You can also try calling thelocal shelter. Sadly, all too many bunnies are bought at Easter forgifts. As soon as that cute little bunny gets a bit bigger and is nolonger a little bundle of fur, the can't be bother. They let them loosethinking they can survive. It is really sad. I am so glad Vpink tookthe little one in. It does my heart good to hear that Fluffy is in aloving home where he or she will live the life of cherished familymember. Kudos to Vpink and her famly.

Tina

Several years back, I used to sell quite a fewbunnies privately. With each bunny, went my handwritten"Guidelines for Life with Bunny". I mentioned this website asone they might enjoy. I attached a copy of "Rainbow Bridge"and a copy of "I Can't Remember My Name".....both, I must admit,snitched from this forum. In red ink, at the bottomof "I Can't Remember My Name", I wrote "Please don't dothis!" Way too many people do it.....not just rabbits,but other pets. It always makes me sick when I hear aboutit. There should be a special place in the hot place for thiskind of people.....my personal opinion.

I used to (to the amusement of my gran) tell manyof my relatives when I was 10 years old, that the way to tell the sexof a rabbit is to press his tummy... then if a pink thing pops out,it's a boy! Little did I know what that pink thing was!

If you press gently on it's lower belly, you'll soon find out if Fluffy's male or female.

Back