Rabbit feels cold

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
Andy's been living in the basement now and its been getting really cold, to the point where I'm wearing a giant sweatshirt with this little heater turned on. Andy's ears and whole body have been feeling cold, I was wondering if theres anything I can do to keep him warm? he's been cuddling up on my lap a lot more, I was wondering if he's doing that to try to get warm?

Does it stay roughly the same temperature all the time? If it stays relatively cool all the time, he should adjust. If it gets warm and then cold (e.g. if the heater is only on when you are down there) he might be chilly!

I usually put the heater on when I'm down their, but almost every night my brother turns it on (his computer is in the other room)
So that has me a bit worried

I wouldn't turn the heater on and off. It's almost the same thing than putting your rabbit inside / outside and prevent him from adapting. Can't you just leave the heater on a low setting all the time? That being said, my rabbits are in a room inside of my house where it's not particularly cold and their ears are completely cold, like they are every winter. I found that rabbits' ears reflect the outside weather more than the inside temperature (and, weirdly enough, tend to get cold or warm about 24 hours BEFORE the temperature changes - they are a lot more accurate than the weather reports on TV ^^). My rabbits are free-ranged, if yours is too : I give them a cardboard box with two or three small openings and lots of hay in it. They like to be inside of it when it's really cold as it helps them feeling warmer. They also have a cushion and they don't use it at all when it's hot, but them seem to like laying on it when it's cold (I suppose it keeps their belly warm ^^).
On the plus side, rabbits rarely die because of the cold. As long as it's not freezing and that your rabbit is in good health, he should be fine.

We can't keep the heater on all the time because it takes up a lot of electricity. I can't control what my brother does with the heater :/ (...he's "older" then me and.....yeah.) I'll add the box like you said @aki. The bunny is in a different room then the heater, one room is blocked off because of wires, the other room is the Bunny's area/room.
Without the heater, the two rooms is around low 50s F° then with the heater its around high 60s F° (I know, my brother likes the room warm)
Forgot to mention, their used to be a door to separate the two rooms (a big door) but its not there (I don't know why) so I have built my own barrier to block the two rooms, the barrier is just high enough so the bunny can't jump over it. (Its not really a door, so the warm air comes into the second room, a.k.a the bunny room)

Last edited:
Rabbits can handle freezing temperatures quite well actually. As long as it is not drafty or wet. Like leaving them in an exposed hutch outside.

My only concern for Andy is that he is a Rex, and rex rabbits don't get winter coats like regular bunnies so he doesn't have added insulation to help him deal with the cold.
However 50F is really not that cold, come on guys! That's not even freezing!

Make sure Andy has a rug on the floor or foam tiles or something so his bed and where he sleeps (and can move around) is not directly on the floor if you don't have carpet in the basement.
Have your brother close the door to Andys room when he goes down there so the heat doesn't get in there. Talk to your parents.
Get him one of those reflective heat beds. Their plush and have some kinda silver space blanket type lining that's supposed to reflect the animals heat back at it.

But honestly I'm sure he will be fine. Just try and prevent drastic temperature changes. I'm pretty sure my entire house is a good 10 degrees colder then that right now.

Oh I didn't know Rex's don't get a winter coat, I've been waiting for it to come in :confused: :headsmack lol
There is no door between room with the heater and the bunny's room, its just a 4 ft barrier that I made. I'll see if I can fine those heat pad things (he might just get one for Christmas lol )

Latest posts

Back