Rabbit dental problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louladoll

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a male dutch rabbit. He is 3 years old, but he is a poorly bun. His back teeth stopped growing so he barely has anything left to chew on. He has of course been seen by a vet and we are doing as recommended by the vet (helping him feed at home etc whilst he is still acting normally, not in any pain, playful and so on).

But about an hour ago he has started opening and closing his mouth relatively quickly and licking behind his top teeth at the same time. He is not grinding his teeth and he doesnt look like he is any pain whatsoever, still cleaning himself and he has been eating on his own today.

Has anyone ever heard of this continous moving of the mouth and tongue? I will of course speak to a vet but theres no one available at these hours, so it has to wait until morning. Any advice for now??

thanks everyone
Louladoll

p-s(sorry i havent introduced myself yet i just panicked and found this forum so i thought maybe someone could help!!! BUT A BIG HELLO TO EVERYONE :))

By the time they actually show pain, it has to be pretty bad.

Had he just eaten per chance? I've had rabbits with bits of food and one with a celery string stuck in his teeth.

Is he trying to eat and picking up and then dropping food?

What's his diet like?

sas :clover:

No he eats soft rabbit food normally, he doesnt pick it up and drop it he just eats normally. hes showing no signs of pain (he has in the past so i know his signals) he looks completely normal etc just doing that weird movement. not a clue tbh!

I had a bun with terrible dental issues who also only ate soft food (critical care) ; he sometimes made motions like you described but often it was near the time when he needed to have his teeth seen by the dentist( they were often overgrown)

It also could be something( hay veggie?) stuck in the roof of his mouth or between his teeth. if he continues to do this I would definitely have a vet check out the situation.

Aw sorry to hear that about your bunny :( My bun has the critical care stuff, and he also eats his normal bun food mixed with some water so its all mushy.

He stopped doing the thing with his mouth though and seems like his normal perky self still, so im guessing he may have got something stuck between or on his teeth. And especially as his teeth have stopped growing im sure theres plenty of space for food to stick on top!!!

Thanks for your replies though :) glad i found this place!!!

Louladoll xxo

Latest posts

Back