Questions regarding rabbit behaviors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said in the ESP post I do believe rabbitscan sense our emotions. I reada few years ago in a bookcalledThe Highly Sensitive Person,that inboth the animal kingdom and among humans there is a percentage of thepopulation that is more sensitive than the rest. For example, somepeople are overwhelmed if they spend too much time socializing, becausethey process subtleties constantly. They are noticing the flowers onthe table, wondering who they're from and recalling that the vasewasn't there before. They're noticing that Joe's hair is different andfeeling queasy from the overwhelming smell of smoke, and food andperfume and uncomfortable with the amount of people in the room becauseit's just too much to process all at once. Others never notice thevase, Joe's hair or the smell of food.

The theory is that in every population there needs to be warriors whoare brave and don't hesitate and there needs to be those who arecautious and pause to think and process before going ahead, so that ifthere is danger they will be able to tell the others. The book refersto this type as "the advisor". So in all populations, even today theremust beboth types of dispositions.

All this mumbo-jumbo to say that rabbits are so sensitive by nature, Iwonder if those who are the "highly sensitive" of the bunch are theguys we consider to be the most skittish, because they would beextremely sensitive.

On another note, my little Mella is very noisy and has on a fewoccasions screamed. She doesn't do it out of physical pain. She'll justhop over and scream. It's the weirdest thing. When I posted my concernabout it here, Pamnock shared her story about her rabbits screamingwhen they heard the sound of pellets hitting a bowl (i believe that wasthe noise) The screaming Mella does is from something we don't evennotice.

Thanks for such an interesting thread Buck.

my dog is very good at emotion sensing with me.my cats seem to care less, but they dont follow me around everywhereand wait at the door for me.
i havent had any experiences with angie yet, but im sure she will know whats going on with me. i get migraines as well.

unfortunately she has started chewing today. i know it will not getbetter for quite some time. she accidentally bit my foot trying to eatmy jeans. i screamed because it hurt but she was totallyunphased:shock::shock:. at least shes getting really cuddly too. shelikes to sit on me when im laying down and rest her head right next tomine so i can rub her ears and she can give me kisses.

one minute shes sweet and cuddly, the next running around binkying, thenext chewing things to shreds (of course not the toys i offer her). oh,life with a bunny:p

Bringing back for those that didn't have a chance to see or respond tothis post. I thought it was quite interesting to hear what people hadto say.

:)

-Carolyn

on the chewing.. my buns do chew less on thecorners in our house as they've grown older, but will still chew a cordif it's out. now this may also be because they're neat tochew on ;) when i was a teenager i used to chew on the phonecord while i was talking on the phone (and for a teenage girl, that'sall the time!) it was one of those things that is satisfyingto chew, like a pen cap etc..

as for sensing our emotions.. they're not cuddle buns at all so they'llnever crawl up beside us on the couch or anything, but if we're layingon the floor with them and feel bad, they're right there with us:) my husband was quite ill one night and lay down on theliving room floor and little princess slept beside him :)

Spiced77 wrote:
when i was a teenager i used to chew on the phone cord whilei was talking on the phone (and for a teenage girl, that's all thetime!)
Once again my point is proven! I'm not a normal teenager. I actuallyhate talking on the phine so much that everyone has learned to notcall, lol.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Spiced77 wrote:
when i was ateenager i used to chew on the phone cord while i was talking on thephone (and for a teenage girl, that's all the time!)
Once again my point is proven! I'm not a normal teenager. I actuallyhate talking on the phine so much that everyone has learned to notcall, lol.

Well, if that's abnormal, count me in with you. I hated talkingon the phone, and now I can mildly tolerate it (ironic, since my job isa switchboard operator. But it's different. . .:?). Christine hatestalking on the phone, too, so the one and only time she called me Ithought it was a prank call :p

I personally noticed the chewing peaked about 3mo. and dropped off about 4-5 mo. It was really a period of rapiddevelopment so I think there's something in the teething theory.

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
I personally noticed the chewing peaked about 3 mo. anddropped off about 4-5 mo. It was really a period of rapid developmentso I think there's something in the teething theory.

Rose
lol oh boy if i'm not on the PC the phone is attached to myhead.. litterly i have a head set phone... love it.. it means 2 handsfree to continue doing everything around the houseor with the buns..not tessa she has chewed the cord:p

Hef will be two in June and he still chews. Andchews. And chews. His cage bars, the bottom of my bookcase, my shoes(thankfully not while I'm wearing them). He's getting fixed when I getmy tax check (which will be later than I thought because I forgot tosign the forms and they were returned to me!!!Grrr!!!:X ) so I'm hopinghe calms down after that.

He's very hyper compared to the other two. I can't even eat somethingwithout him on my lap trying to eat out of the bowl. He acts like a doghalf the time. Scott had a black lab named Velvet when he was littleand they were best buds. I see the way Hef acts and how he is SODaddy's boy and I am convinced that Velvet came back as a little blackbunny. I wonder if anyone else has that kind of feeling about their bun?

I am sure they know my moods. When I'm upset, they all miraculouslybehave better. They almost have this look of concern. When I'm happy,they all come over to me and/or nudge me for attention. They all havetheir own different reactions if I'm mad at something they did.Skittles hides. Poco grunts and thumps, being the defiant one she is.Hef licks my nose once to say "Don't be mad at me, Mommy." And itusually works! How could you stay mad at that? (Maybe Scott should lickmy nose when I'm mad at him! HA HA!)

I also think they communicate with each other. Hef's somehow gotten themessage "If we bite our cage bars at 7:00 AM Mommy will feed us" to thegirls. Poco never used to do this. It's funny to watch them try tomimic him. Especially Skittles - she wants to be like her big brother!This morning she even had the scratching motions synchronized with his!

I think they also instinctilvely predict weather. Right before we get astorm, they curl up in a ball with their paws underneath them and lookreally worried, even though they're house bunnies. This is about thesame time there is a feeding frenzy out at the bird feeder, whichalways happens before a storm. Maybe they could work at The WeatherChannel?:p

I am so intrigued by all these answers. I do believe with all my heart that there is something more.

We had just moved into our new home and Apollo wasn;t really allowedout yet because I hadn't been able to totally hid all the wires. About2 weeks after the move, I became seriouly ill with bronchitis and aninfection. My husband was at work and Jeremy was at school. I lay inbed feeling awful. I heard a noise from the kitchen but it didn'treally register. Next thing I hear is Thump Thump and I'm thinking whatin the world was that. Be fore I can even consider it I have Apollositting on my chest.

He broke two locks on his cage door, by passed numerous wires, andabout a million other things harmful to a bunny, through rooms andhallways he'd never seen or been in...to find me. He knew I neede d totake my mind off how horrible I felt. HE was content to lay therebeside for over an hour.

I suffer from horrendous leg cramps so I can't let my legs or feet getcold. One day I misplaced my slippers and was going to ask Jeremy tohelp me look fpr them. Out of nowhere Apollo jumped up on the couch andlaid fully on my feet. He's never done it before or since.
Animals are so amazing.

Tina

Back