Questions about Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
So just a little background before I get to my questions: Taz has been doing great, and she's now putting weight on her broken leg! She even binkied a couple times! We're feeling confident with her recovery, and my parents said that once the big NIC cage is done and Taz is comfortable moved in, we can maybe get another rabbit to keep her company since i'm at school, and I go between my mom's house and dad's house (my parents are divorced) and since I spend half and half time at both houses and the rabbits DO NOT travel with me, I thought Taz could use a little buddy soon. We're not ready to start looking at rabbits yet however.

But, since we will be looking soon, I want to prepare ahead. Taz is 3 months old and not spayed, and i plan on getting a female rabbit. I can't find any places in our area that have spayed rabbits for sale, so we will buy one from a pet store we love and trust. Can Taz and another female rabbit close to her own age bond, even if they are unspayed? We've never spayed/nuetered our buns (to be honest, i didn't know it could be done :) ) and its worked out fine for us. The 2 buns would be indoors in a big NIC cage that has a divider down the middle. Taz lived with her mother and sister previously (but through a tragic accident they were both killed) and I just have that sense that Taz needs another little friend. Now that she has become more active, she is running around her tiny cage, chewing things (bowls, her litterbox and grass cave) so I think thats a sign of boredom. I think she'll be happier once she's in the big NIC...

So, thoughts? Sorry; this post has been kinda long and confusing ;)
Thank you!!

a M/F bond is *much* easier than F/F as females are very territorial. Taz could bond with another 3 month old female easily right now, but in 1-2 mos hormones will start kicking in and chances are, they'll fight and have to be kept apart until after they're spayed AND the hormones have had time to die down (which can take 3-4 weeks in females).

Oh wow, i didn't know F/M bonds were easier! Considering that, I would do a male, but we don't want them breeding, and if we can avoid spaying/neutering that would be great, which was why I said getting another female. Is it just dumb to bond two females without spaying?

yes, M/F is significantly easier than same sex bonds. it's *possible* for two unspayed females to get along, but very unlikely and you're taking a risk in leaving them together - what if they get into a vicious fight while no one is around to break it up? while there is a chance of hormonal rabbits getting along, there is also a chance of them fighting to the death.

spaying is SO important for females anyway, as unspayed females have HALF the life-span of spayed females because of how prone they are to cancers of the reproductive system. even though my two babies made it to five months old without a single fight, the idea of leaving them unspayed never crossed my mind simply because of all the risks (both fighting and cancer).

Before I knew any better I ha two unswayed females bonded. Right before they turned a year old hormones kicked in an one degloved the skin all the way off the others leg. Nasty wound, you could see right down to the muscle and bone. Luckily, she healed marvelously and you'd never know. After my experience and the stories I've heard, personally I would not try to bond two I spayed females. Two spayed females can sometimes e difficult to bond, but two unspayed just leads to disaster.

Alright then, its settled! :) I won't try to bond them, and I'll keep them separated. And hopefully, we'll be able to get them spayed :)

Latest posts

Back