Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
It may seem silly, but I'm curious. I just found out that I'm pregnant (SO EXCITED) and my fiance and I are starting to think about our future with the baby. One major question is our rabbits.

Is it safe to continue our rabbitry while I'm pregnant and with an infant? I'm thinking more to the fact of possible illnesses that can be transmitted from rabbits and really any effect that they may have on me or the baby (with fecal matter with cage cleaning, etc).

I doubt that thereare any problems, since there are plenty of people in the horse world that become pregnant and have their children with no issues, but we just want to make sure everything is safe and still be able to have our buns. :)

Thanks!

Tons of pregnant bunny owners on this forum. :D Few pregnancy threads on here in this section.

We've definitely had a lot of pregnant bunny owners on the forum. I don't know of any diseases that can be passed from rabbits to humans (like the parasite toxoplasmosa in cats.) If you use any kind of strong cleaning chemicals in your rabbitry that might be of concern.

If your rabbits had toxoplasmosis, you'd know--they'd be really ill, so don't worry about that one. The other possible diseases you can get from bunnies are mostly dermatological (ringworm, fleas), so don't worry much about that either. Just cleaning supplies, if you use anything strong, and maybe exposure to tetanus via rusty cages, if you have that (which of course I doubt), or old paint on old cages that might be lead-based. Very rare.

Latest posts

Back