Question about ivermec.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunsforlife

Reaction score
Or however it is spelt

We have a flea outbreak here in Camelot. Nasty buggers!

I did an intense grooming of the buns yesterday looking for fleadirt orfleas and couldnt find any evidence on them, but the kittens got dosedwith kitten flea powder. I am sure the fleas will jump to therabbits now that the cats are toxic to them. Can I use theivermeticin on the the buns for fleas? If so, how old doesAnubis have to be?

He is 5 months now.

I would consult withyour vet for aflea specific product such as Advantage. Ivomec doesn't killall stages of fleas and it doesn't repel fleas.

Pam

Hmmm...ok, everything I say could be wrong, but...

Isn't Anubis a blue Flemish? Isn't there a problem withrabbits with blue in their genes tending to react to Ivermec?I know that Earnestine had a reaction and she's a blue Dutch.I'm pretty sure that it was related to her being blue vs. being a Dutch.

I would look into this before treating Anubis.

Jen

Not certain if the blue (dilute) gene has any link to the gene that causes Ivomec sensitivity.

Both the recent cases of Ivomec toxicity did involve Dutch rabbits, only 1 was blue.

The toxicity appears to be more related to the Dutch *pattern* generather than the blue *color* gene. The same has been found indogs -- the toxicity is linked to certain coat *pattern* genes.

Of course, any rabbit could potentially have a reaction.

Pam

Alright Pam =) Good idea

And Anubis' breeder got in contact with me after that thread (akaBlueGiants) and told me she has treated her herd with it before and hadno sensitivity, but of course every animal (and person) can have amedication sensitivity spring up out of no where.

Advantage it is (Have Program for the kittens, but since I dont know if that is safe or not I will stick to the Advantage)

Program is also used on rabbits. As with any medication, consult with your vet before using.

Pam

Well I will call the vet and ask him about theProgram since I already have it, he is a rabbit savvy vet =)If he thinks we should go with the Advantage I will follow hisadvice.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with those NASTYbuggers! I hate Fleas! You're better off using theAdvantage or Program for the fleas. The Ivermec doesn't workthat welll on keep them (and future generations!) away.

Well the vet said he'd prefer the buns get adose of Advantage (since that is what he is used to using in hispractice) Nasty little buggers! Poor kittens are looking sobedraggled since they got a bath last night with a kitten friendly fleashampoo. Just did ANOTHER cleaning of the house, since therewere dead fleas all over the kitten condo.

Hope we dont end up having to fog the apartment, pain in the arse tofind a hotel that'll let us bring 3 rabbits, 3 cats and a rat to staywith us =p

Back