Putting a Rabbit on a Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
It's going to be tough not to give in to that sweet face, but we have to face facts. Elf is getting too fat. sigh

So, it's diet and exercise for her! Unlimited hay, I know. How much pellets should a full grown palomino rabbit get? She gets occasional greens, but nothing regular. It always gives her runs, so I don't want to step that up now when she's overweight. She has a little bowl in her cage for pellets. We fill it every morning. It's probably 3/4 cup of pellets when full. Is that too much?

I really think it's the exercise bit that's made her put on weight. When I broke my leg, she started coming out of the cage less...or really not at all for 2 months because no one else picks her up and they were worried that they couldn't get her back in. We had to move our furniture all over the place to make the house wheelchair/walker accessible, which made her running space cramped and even more crevices for her to hide in so other people couldn't get to her...or places for her to decide to pee on the hardwood floor to mark that it was still her spot even though we moved the furniture. Hard to clean what you can't see.I'm just now getting to the point where we can begin to move some of the furniture back.

So...we're going to do that, which will allow her free roam again of many areas.

Oh, also, hubby bought Rock Band...so now there's a drum set, plastic guitars, a microphone....all these new cords we'll have to watch over carefully so she doesn't chew them (she isn't much of a chewer, but talk about throwing temptation in a bun's face!).

Anyhow...looking for feedback from anyone who has helped a rabbit lose weight. Elf is almost 6 years old. I know I won't have her forever, and she is a larger rabbit, which tend to have shorter life spans, I believe. I would just like to extend her life by keeping her as healthy as possible! Today I had to take her out of her cage and wash off her back feet. :( She just lay there in my arms with her feet in the sink, totally cool about it all. Gotta love my Elf!

I will have to get her on the scale...I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you. My poor lil piggy is gonna hate me for a while so we can get her weight down. :)

Back