pumkin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I am trying to use pumkin in my rabbits diet.Mostly Luv's cause she has little poopies, but she wouldnt eatit. Now roger would take some off a spoon. (he eatseverything) Last night i put some pellets in the bowl andsome pumkin and mixed it. It was gone for both bunnies thismorning. How often should i do that for them? Theydont get alot of treats otherwise so alot suger in thier diet isnt aissue. I do have to watch more with Roger cause tyler has learned heeats from your hands.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

You might try giving Luv some pieces of fresh pineapple. Ifit is a block, the acid will help break it down. It's got tobe fresh. Go with 3 ccs at first and see if it makes adifference. When Tucker's poops had slowed down tremendouslyand then stopped and he wasn't eating or drinking, I was to give him 3ccs of pineapple juice every 4 hours. You'll see thebreakdown of amounts, etc., in the GI Stasis post on (about) Page 10.

As to the pumpkin, it has to be canned. If they won't eat it,you can syringe it to them as I had to with both my babies.Sounds like they took to it quite well with the pumpkinthough.Once a week for preventative measures isn't harmful ofboth the pineapple and the pumpkin. Don't know how smallLuv's stools are, but if they're staying small, you might want to alsogive her some Simethicone for gas. You can get it at apharmacy under the children's section. If you have NutriCal,a dose of that wouldn't hurt either.

-Carolyn

We've just got a pupkin. So dus that mean it'l beok 4 me 2 give my rabits just a piece of fresh pumpkin without it beingcooked?

Luv loz

xXx

Hi Loz,

As Kathy Smith had told me, the woman who wrote a book entitledRabbit Health in the 21st Century, the canning process helps therabbit to get what it needs to clean out their system. Isuggested treating Tucker with fresh pumpkin and you could give it tothem, but if you're looking to give a bit more fiber and clean out thesystem, canned is what works best.

-Carolyn

Back