PU Our office stinks!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Just about two months ago I adopted my second rabbit. Before then I only owned one rabbit (Cocoa) who is a small little 2.5 pound dwarf mix. During the time I had Cocoa, his cage was in our office. I very rarely thought the office smelled bad and I only changed his litter box twice a week.

Once I adopted my second rabbit Daisy, I noticed pretty quickly that the office (where both cages are) was smelling bad. I have moved up to changing the litter boxes three times a week and they are cleaned with vinegar at that time. I can't believe Daisy's pee would smell that bad - but when I am in the office I can tell right away when she uses the litter box! I am not sure what to do, I certainly don't have time to change the litter boxes every day! Does anyone use an air purifier that helps the bunny area smell more fresh??

Hi Kim :) I never found that my rabbits smelled much, but I can try giving you some suggestions.

I use "Critter Litter" which is supposed to eliminate all odors from the litterbox. Since I never actually smelled any bad smell from the litter boxes, I don't know if the pellets were working or my nose just wasn't picking up on it. Check to see if your litter is "odor free", or something similar. If not, you could check your pet shop to see if they have any ones like this.

Another thing I found was helpful was deodorizing spray. When you spray, you can smell it. It smells like a very, very faint vinegar smell. I sprayed it about once or twice a day and it eliminated all smells from the cage.
It was about €8 and came in a bottle like this:
http://www.superpetusa.com/assets/006/24974.jpg

Another thing - you could try taking out the clumps of litter daily, and replacing them again. It should only take a minute ;)

Good luck :wave:

I started using horse bedding pellets (wood stove pellets are the same thing) as litter. They are amazing at absorbing odors. I have 5 rabbits in one room and no smell at all. My litterboxes get changed every 4 days. You can get them at Tractor Supply or other farm supply stores.

nicolevins wrote:
Hi Kim :) I never found that my rabbits smelled much, but I can try giving you some suggestions.

I use "Critter Litter" which is supposed to eliminate all odors from the litterbox. Since I never actually smelled any bad smell from the litter boxes, I don't know if the pellets were working or my nose just wasn't picking up on it. Check to see if your litter is "odor free", or something similar. If not, you could check your pet shop to see if they have any ones like this.

Another thing I found was helpful was deodorizing spray. When you spray, you can smell it. It smells like a very, very faint vinegar smell. I sprayed it about once or twice a day and it eliminated all smells from the cage.
It was about €8 and came in a bottle like this:
http://www.superpetusa.com/assets/006/24974.jpg

Another thing - you could try taking out the clumps of litter daily, and replacing them again. It should only take a minute ;)

Good luck :wave:
The litter I am using is Yesterday's News. In Cocoa's cage I also use Carefresh bedding everywhere outside the litter box, because since he met Daisy, he has not been very good with his litter box habits!

Maybe I should try Critter Litter or wood stove pellets. I am actually not sure which bunny's cage is worse. But I am going to change both their litter boxes right now!!

Is Daisy spayed/neutered? Are you sure she's a "she"? Unfixed bunnies can have *very* strong smelling pee.

Also, I noticed an oniony smell when I brought my second rabbit home, even though she was spayed. I'm still not sure what it was, since she doesn't smell anymore, but it maybe have been some sort of scent marking to mark her new territory. It faded after a few weeks, but I was sure nervous that I had somehow adopted a super stinky bunny. It didn't seem to be related to her litter box though - it came from her.

An oniony or garlicy smell is usually sent glands. They are located on either side of the genitals and are slits. They can fill with a stinky waxy substance that you can clean out using a bit of oil and a q-tip.

-Dawn

Aurora, in my bun's case, her glands appeared to be clear, but I'm pretty sure they were still the source of the stinkiness. I'm sure glad that went away!

Latest posts

Back