protein in rabbit milk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The formula I feed baby rabbits (domestic and wild) contains 32% protein and 40% fat. There are several professional formulas that are available. But quite honestly, none of these formulas match what mom can produce. Andhome made formulas still seen on the internet are nothing short of horrible....especially those that deal with scaled milk, eggs or heavy cream. Especially with a hind gut fermenter, there are many other issues that have to unfold correctly in the gut to have a successful weaning. The thing to remember is that when we are hand feeding a baby animal an artificial formula....it just isn't the same as what mom provides. And it's not just the protein/fat of the formula....it is a complex formula of vitamins, minerals, bacteria, etc. that mom also provides. I don't use just one formula but a constantly changing mixes of different formulas that contain different components as well as nutritional supplements and probiotics and I have just started using a pro-active filter/toxin binderfor Clostridium.

One extra word on this issue...a bit off topic but good info....Pet Ag makes many of the zoological formulas we use with captive animals. Most of the top zoos and aquariums all over the world use PetAg products. They do have a web site with hundreds of animals and their dietary needs. Unfortunately Pet Ag made some modifications in their process this year that has caused some problems. Mainly the products, while still containing the stated nutrition, is more concentrated. This has resulted in an increase mortality rate with our neonates....primarily rabbits but also opossums and to a lesser extent, squirrels. While this most likely won't affect many people on RO....it does show that we still have a long way to go with processed formula.

The chart Pam proided is an excellent and in-depth article for some extended reading time. While the information is excellent, we still have to feed an artificial diet if mom isn't/can't feed. But I must say that article is probably the best I have seen and is further evidence that we are finally getting real clinically proven information....and that is great.

Randy

Latest posts

Back