Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee-hoop-0u

Reaction score
So my rabbit is due this week I’ve given her 3 nesting box at 3 different places since she is free roaming but she decided last night to make this very intricate nest in between the couch and the window behind a dresser! She took isolation stuff from the walls Im the garage, hay, some of my socs, toilet paper from the bathroom and added some of her fur! I don’t want her to have her babies there since I won’t be able to check if they are okay when she has them but I don’t know if I should change the place of the nest!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4
You might want to get the insulation wall stuff out of the nest and replace it with cotton balls or something. Wall insulation is often made of fiberglass. If the kits get it into their eyes, they might go blind...

I was watching animal planet and that happened with a bunch of kittens when a feral mother cat gave birth to them in the roof/wall area of building and were surrounded by the stuff. When they opened their eyes, they were constantly brushing against it and were practically blind from micro scratches by the time the vets found them. It might have had to do with how much they were surrounded by it but with your bunny kits I figure it’s better to be safe than sorry.

So my rabbit is due this week I’ve given her 3 nesting box at 3 different places since she is free roaming but she decided last night to make this very intricate nest in between the couch and the window behind a dresser! She took isolation stuff from the walls Im the garage, hay, some of my socs, toilet paper from the bathroom and added some of her fur! I don’t want her to have her babies there since I won’t be able to check if they are okay when she has them but I don’t know if I should change the place of the nest!
You have a very determined nester! Is there a way you can giver her a smaller room or space of her own while she has babies? I'm not sure she'll give them the full attention they need if she's free roam. I'd advise moving her to an exercise pen like enclosure. Then, take a basket/bucket/container that's just large enough for her, but not huge, and fill it with hay. Place the fur she pulled on top(not the rest of the materials she used, just fur). give her some extra hay scattered around so she can nest some more. The fur in the nest box should give her an idea of where to make her nest. Keep her in the pen for the night. Bunnies generally give birth in the earliest hours of the morning, but some of mine have had their babies at 5 in the afternoon or around then, so I'd probably shut her up then. The next day, if she has babies, keep her in there for the morning time. You can let her free roam for a few hours during the day, but put her back in there in the evening. After a couple weeks of this routine she should remember to feed her babies at those times.
@Moonshadow is very correct. Other materials in the nest box(especially insulation) can sometimes harm the kits. I like to let my does have only hay in the summer, and sometimes Carefresh paper shreds in the winter for extra warmth. I'd go with just hay for now, because as a first time mama she'll find that the easiest to nest with and keep clean.

You have a very determined nester! Is there a way you can giver her a smaller room or space of her own while she has babies? I'm not sure she'll give them the full attention they need if she's free roam. I'd advise moving her to an exercise pen like enclosure. Then, take a basket/bucket/container that's just large enough for her, but not huge, and fill it with hay. Place the fur she pulled on top(not the rest of the materials she used, just fur). give her some extra hay scattered around so she can nest some more. The fur in the nest box should give her an idea of where to make her nest. Keep her in the pen for the night. Bunnies generally give birth in the earliest hours of the morning, but some of mine have had their babies at 5 in the afternoon or around then, so I'd probably shut her up then. The next day, if she has babies, keep her in there for the morning time. You can let her free roam for a few hours during the day, but put her back in there in the evening. After a couple weeks of this routine she should remember to feed her babies at those times.
@Moonshadow is very correct. Other materials in the nest box(especially insulation) can sometimes harm the kits. I like to let my does have only hay in the summer, and sometimes Carefresh paper shreds in the winter for extra warmth. I'd go with just hay for now, because as a first time mama she'll find that the easiest to nest with and keep clean.
Yes I think I’ll try that only problem is she hates enclosure or play pens or anything smaller than free roaming since she is huge so I’m just scared that it’ll stress her out more?

Yes I think I’ll try that only problem is she hates enclosure or play pens or anything smaller than free roaming since she is huge so I’m just scared that it’ll stress her out more?
She should be fine! In the end I think she'll feel better and more organized in a smaller space for a percentage of the time.

She should be fine! In the end I think she'll feel better and more organized in a smaller space for a percentage of the time.
I tried to do that she tried everything to escape and she did and she hasn’t touched anything to try to nest HASNT had her babies I’m scared

I tried to do that she tried everything to escape and she did and she hasn’t touched anything to try to nest HASNT had her babies I’m scared
Many bunnies will make their nest a few days before they have their babies. Although it's not the most common, it still happens. I know of a doe who makes her nest a full week before she's due, and still has successful litters! I promise that although it seems so nerve wracking, instinct will kick in, and she'll know what to do and when to do it, even if her humans think she's off schedule!
Are you following that same schedule of only free roam a few hours of the day?

Many bunnies will make their nest a few days before they have their babies. Although it's not the most common, it still happens. I know of a doe who makes her nest a full week before she's due, and still has successful litters! I promise that although it seems so nerve wracking, instinct will kick in, and she'll know what to do and when to do it, even if her humans think she's off schedule!
Are you following that same schedule of only free roam a few hours of the day?
I’m trying but every single time I try to put her in an enclosure she finds a way out yesterday I put her in my dogs x pen it’s about 4 foot high and she jumped on top of it 🤣 every single time she sees me she comes see me and wants to be pet and I’m just there like how did she get out

I’m trying but every single time I try to put her in an enclosure she finds a way out yesterday I put her in my dogs x pen it’s about 4 foot high and she jumped on top of it 🤣 every single time she sees me she comes see me and wants to be pet and I’m just there like how did she get out
😄what i've found works for jumpers is laying a blanket/towel over top the pen and then either securing it with clamps or laying a board across the corners to secure it if that makes any sense! If she's determined to be out for longer than that, it's probably fine. As long as she's in the pen when you go to bed and doesn't get let out til morning she should be good.

😄what i've found works for jumpers is laying a blanket/towel over top the pen and then either securing it with clamps or laying a board across the corners to secure it if that makes any sense! If she's determined to be out for longer than that, it's probably fine. As long as she's in the pen when you go to bed and doesn't get let out til morning she should be good.
She still hasn’t had them I’m scared she had a miscarriage I try to palpate her but I’m not that good but I can feel her big stomach and it being half soft half firm but I’m not sure if I feel some babies or if it’s her inside organs I’m just so worried honestly I think she’s still building her nest but I’m not sure if it was like that before

She still hasn’t had them I’m scared she had a miscarriage I try to palpate her but I’m not that good but I can feel her big stomach and it being half soft half firm but I’m not sure if I feel some babies or if it’s her inside organs I’m just so worried honestly I think she’s still building her nest but I’m not sure if it was like that before
I am of the opinion you'll just have to be patient for babies, but in the case that she's not actually pregnant, here are some reasons-

The tight tummy and movements could just be gas bubbles in her system. Her large tummy could also be due to overfeeding. For a bun her size and pregnant, I would give 1/2cup alfalfa/timothy pellets per day and unlimited timothy hay/orchard grass, with greens and fruit only as treats every so often.
Her nest building early on could be a sign of false pregnancy as well. If she hasn;t had her babies within 2 weeks of building the nest, that shows pretty clearly that she didn't 'take' with the buck and never actually got pregnant.

The only way to be sure she's not pregnant is to wait a full 38 days since the last time she was in contact with a buck. I know you won't be breeding her again, but it's still best to treat her as a pregnant bunny until there's no way she could be, if that makes sense. It WILL require patience, but if all the signs are correct I think you'll have a nest of tinyies soon.

You said she was last in contact with a buck on her 23rd day(which by my calculations is March 23rd) so if she didn't take until then, it's only been 2 1/2 weeks. But, I'd guess she's more around 4weeks along right now, which means she might have them in the next 5 days, but she can have them up until April 25th.

I am of the opinion you'll just have to be patient for babies, but in the case that she's not actually pregnant, here are some reasons-

The tight tummy and movements could just be gas bubbles in her system. Her large tummy could also be due to overfeeding. For a bun her size and pregnant, I would give 1/2cup alfalfa/timothy pellets per day and unlimited timothy hay/orchard grass, with greens and fruit only as treats every so often.
Her nest building early on could be a sign of false pregnancy as well. If she hasn;t had her babies within 2 weeks of building the nest, that shows pretty clearly that she didn't 'take' with the buck and never actually got pregnant.

The only way to be sure she's not pregnant is to wait a full 38 days since the last time she was in contact with a buck. I know you won't be breeding her again, but it's still best to treat her as a pregnant bunny until there's no way she could be, if that makes sense. It WILL require patience, but if all the signs are correct I think you'll have a nest of tinyies soon.

You said she was last in contact with a buck on her 23rd day(which by my calculations is March 23rd) so if she didn't take until then, it's only been 2 1/2 weeks. But, I'd guess she's more around 4weeks along right now, which means she might have them in the next 5 days, but she can have them up until April 25th.
Thank you so much this actually really helps and reassures me thank you

Latest posts

Back