Pregnant bunny!!! Is she in labor!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfulcher

Reaction score
OKAY... So Cadbury, my albino New Zealand bun, is pregnant.. Or at least we HIGHLY expect her to be!!! And she's generally hopping around being silly, a natural character!!! I ALWAYS KEEP CONSTANT WATCH OVER BOTH MY BUNNIES!!! And she's suddenly seeming.... Off.. Not sick... Just... Uncomfortable, and unable to find the right position to lay in... AND she's laying in the back up litter tray... Which is unusual. For its constant lately! Thumper, the daddy to be is a grey dwarf.... Here's a couple pix of them... And how she's laying... She hasn't made a fur mat/nest... So idk... But here ya go....!
image_zps120cf4c7.jpg

image_zps42db052c.jpg

:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1

It's difficult to see because the picture is small. How long ago was she bred? Gestation is 30-35 days, with most being born on day 30-31. Some does wait until the last minute to nest. If it isn't time for her to kindle then it's possible she has a digestive issue, like gas.

Is your male really 4-6 weeks old and the female around 9wks? If so then it is probably gas and she needs some sort of treatment. Your male isnt fertile until his testicles have descended. They really should be separated and not bred. . .Especially since they are not the same breed and there is no real point in breeding them. . .

Last edited:
Is she eating and pooping? If not, she probably has GI stasis and a blockage, and depending on how long it's been since she last ate and her current symptoms, she may need to get into the vet immediately to save her. If it's only been a few hours since she last ate, and her condition doesn't seem critical, then there may be some things that you can try at home to try and ease her discomfort and get her eating again. But a rabbit that hasn't been eating, drinking, or pooping for more than 12-24 hours, may be in a critical situation. GI stasis is a very serious condition and can prove fatal if not treated appropriately and promptly.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Okay, I didn't doublecheck your other thread. The male is not old enough to be fertile, so I doubt your girl is pregnant. Young rabbits have immature digestive systems and if they haven't been fed veggies/treats with mom it's better to not start them until they're a little older. It sounds like it's even more important now if your girl is having digestive problems.

I recall the other thread and at least one of the rabbits was much older than stated (more like 12-16 weeks, not 4-6). I'm not sure about the white one because I'm not familiar with New Zealands, though I remember doubting that it was one. I believe she mentioned intentionally breeding them.

I'm sure she knows by now whether or not the rabbit was actually in labor but even with them being older I also think it was probably a GI upset of some sort. Hopefully all is well and she took the rabbit to the vet if necessary.

Just my opinion, but rabbits should not be bred before they're 5 months old (preferably 6 mos). You risk the life & health of the doe and the kits by breeding too young. None of our does have ever acted like that when they're ready to kindle so I suspect it's a GI problem, too.

If you do decide that you want to breed your rabbits down the road I'd recommend reading a book covering Rabbit Breeding Basics (Amazon has several & one of them is only 99 cents) so that you're ready for babies.

Latest posts

Back