Potty Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jems

Reaction score
Ok I got a plastic wash bin and some critterlitter to train my buns to use a box. I put it in thier cagelast night and HA!! they used it. Last night when I checkedthere was little rabbit poos in there and this morning the litter waswet!!Yey!! :D

However a couple times one or both of the buns have been sitting in thelitterbox and appear to be eating the litter. Is thisnormal? Also is there anything else I should do to encouragethier using the box? It will be sooo much easier to clean ifI can get them using it.

Went to the petstore today to see if they had Timothypellets. She said she would get them for me and I took myusual tour to see if she had anything new and exciting for any of mymany fir kids and she has some baby buns. OOOhhhh socute. I just may end up with anotherif Ikeep going in there-my family already think I have flipped my lid:shock:but I'm a such a sucker for a cute face.

Jems wrote:
...However a couple times one or both of the buns have beensitting in the litterbox and appear to be eating the litter.Is this normal? Also is there anything else I should do toencourage thier using the box? It will be sooo much easier toclean if I can get them using it.... I just may end up withanotherif I keep going in there-.....
Not good for buns to eat litter if it is a clay based, clumping catlitter. It may kill them. If it is a pine based or paperbased litter, it probably will do no harm. Stay away fromcedar based litter, as it may cause toxic fumes that have a detrimentaland lasting effect on the buns respiratory system and skin.

Same sex young buns often begin to fight once having reached puberty,and if opposite sex, will reproduce rapidly afterward. In theinterests of good health, longevity, and well being for your rabbits,you may want to consider neutering. A third, or more, rabbitwill add to complications that may occur at some future time.

Place the litter box in the "corner" of the cage they are currentlyusing for their toilet. You may want to place some urinesoaked paper under the litter if they should make a mistake.It helps them to understand where they are supposed to go.

Do not expect to get them to deposit their poops in the litter box allthe time. Be please if they learn to use it for their urineexclusively. Young buns, particulary, poop for a myriad ofreasons beyond simple elimination, territory marking being one of them,so expect to find the poops in places other than the litter box.

buck

one way to encourage litter box usage is to putsome hay in one end.. buns tend to like to munch while they'go'... but they also like to move it around sometimes, so iadd new hay to it at least once a day. you might have to add it more ifyou only have one box. i have 3 boxes on two levels for my buns:)

Thanks,

I am totally happy if they only use it for urine. The littlepos are easy enough to clean up. I have not seen any wetspots under the cage since putting the box in. I did set itin the corner they were using already. The litter seems to belike a paper material. One of my buns is bothered by woodshavings.They give him the sneezes.

Hopefully we are on the right track.

Jen

Latest posts

Back