Post-spay couple of questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylicourt

Reaction score
Hello, this might seem like a silly question but i just need some quick advice

I got my rabbit spayed just yesterday, and i can tell she's very very sore, she can't even walk properly and when she does she kind of walks on all fours like a cat rather than hops (if that makes sense)
Very sad to see her like that.

I have some medication i need to give her with a syringe for 5 days but every time i go near her with it she shakes her head and turns the other way or nudges my hand out of the way.
Will i hurt her if i pick her up to do it? So scared of hurting her because she's obviously so sensitive at the moment!

Poor bunny, she's just been sat in the corner since yesterday, i can see where she attempted to use her litter tray by the trail of poos going towards it but couldnt get there quick enough :(
Other than that she hasn't really moved at all, i hope this is normal?

From what I've heard, for the females it can be a little hard. It's encouraging that she pooed because it means she is eating and her GI tract is moving. I will let others weigh in on if you should catch her and give her the meds. It sounds like she could use a little relief, but I'm not sure at what cost.

You need to give her the pain medication. Is it Metacam? If so, that REALLY helps with their pain which in turn helps with them continuing to eat and drink. You do NOT want her digestive system to shut down by not eating. That is very dangerous for rabbits.

I would pick her up and force her to take the metacam. Just be careful of her middle section when doing so. If she still hasn't eating, you might want to syringe some water, pellet water or pumpkin to make sure she has something in her system. Continue to watch her to make sure she peeing and pooping.

Good luck! When I gave Agnes the metacam I noticed a huge difference. I hope your girl gets to feeling better soon! :)

Is she eating or not eating? If she's not I would give her the med if it's a pain med. Wrap her in a towel so she doesn't kick her back feet and cause further pain.

Awesome thank you guys! I eventually got her to take some earlier and she eventually liked the taste, even so she's being stubborn again and won't take it so i shall do the towel trick :)
She's not eaten much at all :( she has drank a lot though, she has a post-op check in the morning so hopefully they can shed some light. She looks so sad, not like her at all.

Aw, she just struggled over to her litter tray just to do a wee, the first one since she's been home which was like 27 hours ago, what a little star

I hate it when they´re not well but that´s a good sign that she´s wanted to go to her litter tray to pee and good that you´re getting some medication down here. Females spays are much more invasive than neuters so she´ll take longer to get back to some normality but she sounds as though she´s Ok but very sore. Keep us posted how she goes.

My guys will do the all fours walk instead of the normal bunny walk when they're trying to be "sneaky," so it is probably just her not feeling well and not wanting to do the jarring motion of a hop. It's good you can get her the medicine. For some bunnies that are delicate (we have an older nethie that really struggles when held) or big, I do a different type of hold to do things they don't want (like nail trims, forcing meds). I kneel over the bunny so that I'm gently holding them with my legs and can use both hands to do whatever. The bunny gets to keep all 4 feet on the floor which makes them less scared as well. I hope she continues to eat, drink, and eliminate as normal.

Thanks guys,
she is a very stubborn bunny when it comes to medicine but as long as i don't give up trying, she eventually gives in and takes it :) I did the kneeling over her thing, and it worked which is aweome!
Got her to eat a bit of broccoli and a few nuggets which was a massive relief, would like her to have eaten more but it's better than nothing!

Latest posts

Back