post op prep, cage layout

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
I cannot find a lot online about care after amputation. I dont expect her to be able to get in or out of a litter box and figure she'll sleep a lot.

Anyone have ideas about the cage? She spent nights ina dog kennel and days free roaming. If i keep her in dog kennel, should i use fleece on the bottom?

Any ideas welcome

Lots of fleece sounds good. The vet may have other suggestions. Did you look online for leg amputations for cats, etc? That might be helpful.

o i didnt think about looking up for cats.
thats a great idea, thanks!

Padding would be good. Since she won't have a litter box at first and using one area might not happen, try putting some towels down and then fleece on top. You can set up a potty corner with litter if you want. Be careful with the litter you use so it doesn't irritate the incision, a paper based one might be best at first. A soft bed would be good as well. Any bedding should be easy to clean as well.

I know that dogs tend to recover pretty quickly. It can take a little while for them to figure out how to get around on 3 legs, but they do figure it out and tend to get around pretty well. Cats are similar I think and will even jumps up and down.

How you arrange things might depend on what leg is being amputated (I am not sure). A front leg might not be too much of an impact and she would probably get back to normal pretty quick. A back leg would be harder I think since they carry most of their weight on the back legs.

Also talk with your vet about it. While with a spay or neuter, you want to confine them for a week or 2, other surgeries might require the rabbit to move around more. They should also be able to give some advice on bedding and if she will be able to use a litter box right away or wait a bit.

Latest posts

Back