Post-Neutering Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am getting Einstein neutered soon, as he is starting to show hormonal behavior. After neutering him, what should be the care instructions, and what moods/behavior should I expect from him? I am worried he'll be depressed and/or disinterested in active playtime.

:happyrabbit:

I didn't really do much with my boy after he was neutered. He just laid low in his cage for a few days. I made sure he wasn't licking or bugging himself to much. With in a day he perked up and by day 3 he was back to normal. He ate fine and didn't seem to affected by it all.

Ask your vet for Metacam for pain. Some give it to you automatically, others you have to ask (mine). As Barry is about to experience the snip snip, I'm about to experience it with you. I've only had experience with Jovi (a female) and I do know that the pain meds help with the discomfort. Otherwise just offer him up plenty of water, hay, pellets and greens so that he starts eating right after he comes out of his sleepy. Jovi was eating in her pet carrier before we even arrived home with her. I've heard that males bounce back much quicker than females since it's so much less invasive....sorta.

Are there any questions I should ask the vet about neutering? Thanks to Channahs, I know enough about Metacam; are there any other meds I should look into or ask the vet about?

When you ask about the procedure, ask them if you need to fast your rabbit before hand, a good rabbit vet will tell you not to fast your rabbit. They shouldn't fast and since they are unable to vomit, stomach sickness after anesthesia isn't a problem.

You can also ask how much swelling is expect, what to look for if the wound isn't healing properly etc. The boy bits can look quite odd after surgery so sometimes it's hard to know what exactly you're looking for to know that they're healing well.

Latest posts

Back