Possible Jaw Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
My rabbit (Hans) has malocclusion. We've been managing this by going to the vet every 1 mth or so for tooth trims. So far, his molars have been fine.

Last night, I noticed that his right jaw was slightly bigger.. I felt along his lower jaw bone, and there's a lump towards the back of his lower right jaw :cry2

I'll be bringing him to the vet this weekend. As the vets here are not rabbit-savvy, I'd just like to know what needs to be done during the vet visit. I've gone through most of the threads on RO about abscesses... what I gather is that we need an x-ray to tell for sure if it's an abscess.

Do we need to aspirate (I hope that's the right term) to get a sample of what's in the core of the abscess?

Could the lump be anything else, apart from an abscess? If there is a possibility that it could be something else, what else do I need besides an x-ray to determine what the lump is?

I've also read Randy's treatment protocol of Pen G + Zithromax. I will discuss it with the vet. My intention at the vet's this weekend is to determine what that lump is.. and then I'll come back to RO for more advice. It's not that I don't trust my vet.. but the vets here only have very little experience with rabbits, and I'd like to run all course of treatment through the members here first :)

Oh, I forgot to say that Hans didn't flinch or indicate any pain when I was touching the lump.. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on whether or not it's an abscess?

The vets here have very little rabbit knowledge also but I am wondering how yours can do tooth trims ( do you mean clipping?)
It sound as if it is an abscess and according to Randy if the you can get the stronger antibiotics you don't need to open and drain.
You probably do need to go somewhere more sophisticated as you would need good dental x-rays.

If it is related, however to an abscessed tooth thenI would think that the tooth would need to be removed which your vets most likely cannot do.

I have ordered zithromax online and also bought bicillin from farm and fleet. I have ordered syringes and needles online and also sterile saline to buffer the bicillin. (lactated ringers is preferred. ) Sometimes you have to do what you have to do but in the end it is always best to try to get a properly trained vet.

A culture is good but in the case of an abscess you need to start treatment asap
I just looked at your location and althoughI was going to advise you to seek out a more proficient vet I have no idea if you can get this in Malayasia

Randy is alway willing to talk with any vet that will seek him out

We will do the best we can to help you....

Thanks for replying, Angieluv.

Sorry for the confusions, when I said 'tooth trims' I meant clipping the teeth (without sedation). And you're right, I've been looking all over for a vet to perform incisor extraction, but no one has done it before.

My vet is able to take xrays.. is there a difference in how xrays are done? I'm wondering, since you mentioned I would need 'good dental xrays'.. he's taken an xray of Hans a few months back, its an xray of his skull but I have no idea if it's a 'good' xray or not.. should I try to take a photo of that xray and post it here?

I'm willing to do all it takes for my bun.. I'll even look into ordering the necessary meds online but I'm not sure if the meds would get through customs (and there's no online purchase of meds locally). Of course, I'll check with the proper dosage etc before actually administering the meds :) :)

Bad news, my vet is away until next Thursday :(

"Good dental xrays " is just me repeating what Randy says so I'll try to interpret whatI think that he means.
Abscesses can be the result of abscessed teeth so you would want an x-ray to identify that. That means dental xrays Abscesses can also attach to the jawbone of the rabbit (not good) so you would want to see if that had occurred. I believe thatyou wouldneed dental xrays including the jawbone

I went off on a tangent describing myself ordering drugs online. I truly tried to get the stuff from a vet but they are so backward here.

it's possible that you can get procaine penciiliin G there so even if you cannot get bicillin you might be able to get pencillin Gfrom the vet and just inject daily instead of QOD

also the other name for zithromax is azithromycin

Zithromax is the trade name of the drug
azithromycin is the generic name ; they are both the same drug

You are just doing the best that you can do ....

Well I think it's important for the x-ray to see all the teeth and the roots.

OK. I believe we should be able to get an xray of the teeth and roots. The previous xray of Hans was of his whole skull, showing the jaw, teeth, roots, and eye sockets

Once I get the xray done, I'll post a picture of it here. My vet has mentioned that he is not great at interpreting rabbit xrays...

OMG I'm so excited. I just got off the phone with another vet and she said she has performed extractions before, although not often. At least there's a glimmer of hope there for Hans! I'm going to see the vet tomorrow! Will update again after that

Latest posts

Back