Poor Nibbles!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusselandRoxy

Reaction score
She's got very runny eyes andI keep having to wipe them and she is very very wheezy. Although she is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing just fine which is good. She isn't really herself though - very quiet at the moment. The winters just properly started and her cage has been reduced for the winter for warmth - don't know if these have anythin to do with it but just thought i would mention it. I have separared her and Roxy in case it is anything contagious.

I am planning to take her to the vets tomorrow hopefully but just wondering if there was anything i could do to help her up until then.

Thanks for any advice or information you have,

Leanne x

Check her teeth. The watery eyes could besomething to do with the teeth. Overwise, keep her comfortable and ifshe stops eating/drinking/pooping/peeing, take her immediately to anemergency vet.
If she's outside, take her in as well.

Shuu wrote:
Check her teeth. The watery eyes could be something to dowith the teeth. Overwise, keep her comfortable and if she stopseating/drinking/pooping/peeing, take her immediately to an emergencyvet.
If she's outside, take her in as well.

ok thanks i will check her teeth in a minute, i have bought her in andat the moment shes doing alright in eating etc and i hope it stays thatway. i will definately take her to the vet as soon as possible but oursis shut on sundays :X

I'll keep you updated

leanne xx

Edit: ok i checked the teeth and they look normal to me but what would i be looking for??

I'm glad you're taking her to the vet tomorrow.Poor little thing. If you have any NutriCal (can't remember what theequivalent to that is in the UK), I'd give her some to boost her immunesystem.
Until you have a culture done, I wouldn't treat her for anything atthis point. There are different types of problems that can present thesame symptoms as Sniffles, that's why I'd have the culture done to knowexactly what you're dealing with.

Keep her eyes clean if you can. Don't know if she's sneezing a lot. Getthe impression that she is. If not, could be conjunctivitis, a blockedtear duct, etc.

You were right to separate her from the other rabbits. If it ispasteurella, it's very contagious and you definitely want to keep heraway from the others.

Keep us posted.

:pray:

-Carolyn

P.S. After you handle her, wash up and changeyour clothes before handling any of the other rabbits, just to be onthe safe side until you know what's going on with her.

Carolyn wrote:
I'mglad you're taking her to the vet tomorrow. Poor little thing. If youhave any NutriCal (can't remember what the equivalent to that is in theUK), I'd give her some to boost her immune system.
Until you have a culture done, I wouldn't treat her for anything atthis point. There are different types of problems that can present thesame symptoms as Sniffles, that's why I'd have the culture done to knowexactly what you're dealing with.

Keep her eyes clean if you can. Don't know if she's sneezing a lot. Getthe impression that she is. If not, could be conjunctivitis, a blockedtear duct, etc.

You were right to separate her from the other rabbits. If it ispasteurella, it's very contagious and you definitely want to keep heraway from the others.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn
Thanks a lot Carolyn, i don't have anything like Nutrical unfortunatelybut i am keeping a good eye on her and hoping it isnt anything toserious. I only seperated her from Roxy last night so i am hoping thatRoxy is free from it - she seems ok thankfully but i will have to keepa check on her.
She has sneezed a few times but its more of a constant heavy wheezingthat shes doing - poor girl. She doesn't sound well at all.

leanne :?

Poor Little Girl. :sad:

I will pray very hard for her today, Leanne. I bet your a nervous wreck. My heart goes out to you.

I'm sure you're doing everything you can. Make sure she stays nice andsnug and comfortable. Give her some kisses and hugs from me. I hate tohear a bunny is in distress.

-Carolyn

Poor baby. Shelooks so miserable there. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts andprayers. Let us know how she's doing.

Raspberry

thanks raspberry , she certainly is miserable! :(

Just a thought, could it possibly affect the cats coz shes around themall then time now i have brought her inside and i dont want themcatching anything nasty ?

Leanne x

Not good news i'm afraid.
yes i went to the vet this morning and its either myxomatosis or asevere case of Pasteurella. Most likely pasteurella as their are noswellings (touch wood).
she has been given antibiotics which i will have to inject into hereveryday for 5 days. I also have to put her in her basket in a blackbag and fill it with steam 3 times a day - 20minutes each time. This isto help break down the discharge etc and to help her breathe.
I also have to frequently remove the discharge from her eyes and nosealong with making sure shes eating and drinking. she hadnt eaten sinceyesterday but i just managed to get her to eat a plate of grated carrotand a bit of her food :highfive: which is good news and shes alsodrinking. Just waiting for her to go to the toilet now :ponder:,

also i have to do the steam thing with roxy as the vet said she willmost likely already be infected even if just mildly and its worthmaking sure she doesnt get it.

I will keep you filled in but shes fighting this battle just like her dad fought against the face abscess!
Keep the prayers coming

Leanne x

Bless her heart. I'm so sorry to hear that that is the diagnosis. :sad:

Prayers will definitely continue, Leanne.

-Carolyn

I really hope it's pasteurella as that at leastis treatable. It's good to hear that she's eating abit. Hopefully nobody else comes down with it.

Latest posts

Back