Poopy Butt all the time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeypot515

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a slightly overweight rabbitthat gets messy bottoms all of the time. She is on a diet of only OxbowBunny T pellets (1 dixie cupful a day- bathroom size), hay, benebac,and acidophillus tablets. She has been given baths, but that only worksfor one day. Can anyone tell me how to stop this problem, or at leastkeep her clean in between baths? Help...she is always messy!!!! Icannot have her hop around the house with a messy bottom!!!! pleasehelp!

Well, you can try wipes first.

Overweight can be the issue. It can cause even more problems if she cannot eat the cecals she produces.

Is her stool extra soft? is that part of the problem? What kind of hay is she getting?

If she is having soft stools, she could get a few rolled oats each daybut only a few... like 6 or 8 of the little oats. I wouldwatch it because she's already a bit heavy and those arefattening...... but it would solid her stool.

What type of wipes should I get? She eats some of her cecals...the onesthat are in the litter box. She does not have diarrhea, but her stoolsare soft. I give her timothy hay, grass hay, and other highfiber hays from Oxbow. The vet said to give her shredded wheat. Lately,I've been putting the Bene-Bac on the shredded wheat. It's just adirty, smelly job. I love Tessa, but she is so messy. When we got herabout 2 years ago...she was only about 7 pounds. She never had thisproblem. NOw that she is fat, the problem is abundant. It is almostlike a double edge sword...she can't excercise, because I can't let herout to get poop everywhere, and poop builds up, because I can't let herout. Even when she is out for hours...she just sits, not a whole lot ofmovement.

I've heard some baby wipes will work. Since she can't lick back there well, it shouldn't hurt her.

Try to use a few oats.... the OLD FASHIONED COOKING OATS like Quakerones... in the round canister. She will most likely love themand it will help to solid her poops. Don't use many or youwill end up with a REALLY fat bunny LOL!

Good luck :)

My bunny had the problem and when i switched to purina and then measureed out her food it went away.

Cristy

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Mybunny had the problem and when i switched to purina and then measureedout her food it went away.

Cristy
What were you using before Purina? Bo is on the youngbunny Oxbow pellets. It's an alfalfa based one since he'syoung. The next bag I buy I am switching him to the timothybased. He's 6 mos now I guess that's when I do it? or is it 1year?

You could also try trimming the hair back there.I have a kit that has a dirty butt and i use a warm wet rag to cleanthe area up, then keep the hair trimmed short around that area. So farit seems to help because there's less hair for the poop to mat into.and shorter hair so it really doesnt mat at all anymore. I still cleanhis bottom often though.

Lanna

I was using a cheap walmart brand and i dont evenpay all that much more for the name brand. but your already using afood that others say is good. Is it possible your over feedingher? Luv is a little but on the big side too but i cut herfood down in about half if not less. and no more cleaning a yucky butt.

Hope you get to the end of it soon.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back