Politics at rabbit shows

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any politics amoung breeders and judges at the ARBA shows? I just started showing Holland lops and have gone to 2 shows both of which had huge classes for Hollands and was wondering if politics were involved when the classes are so huge.

I don't like political show rings, I used to show Boxers and let me tell you there was mega politcs there!

Any insight would be appreciated.

Bunny Binkies

Kim

I don't believe politics plays much of a role in rabbit shows. The judges do not know who the rabbits belong too until the end. As a matter of fact you are not suppose to make any comments when watching the judging so as not to influence the judge and I think it would backfire if you did.

Roger

I think there are more ethical judges than not. Most judges are concentrating on picking the best rabbit, and not paying attention to any exhibitors who may be attempting to influence the judge. As Roger said, it often backfires. If anyone is blatant and distracting, I ask them to cease and desist. ;)If it continues to be a problem, they risk having their entire entry disqualified.

I try to turn my back when the rabbits are being put on the table and keep my line of vision low during judging, so I can't see who is putting up rabbits later in the class. Judges are often concentrating so much on the class that they are oblivious to what's going on around them.

Many people perceive that exhibitors are buddying up with the judges. Keep in mind that the judges know most of the exhibitors in their region, and they certainly can't show favoritism to them all!

I know that it may seem rather political to newcomers who don't know anyone, but the "cream" always rises to the top of the classes - no matter who owns them. ;)

Pam

I agree completely with Pam- and by the way, she does do this as I've watched. Many judges have actually perfected completely ignoring which rabbit belongs to which exhibitor or they completely do not know period. At smaller shows though you will notice different exhibitors have rabbits that display very similar traits, whether good or bad, and the judge can make an educated guess when handing the rabbit back. Either that or they have a noticable tattoo system which makes newcomers believe that the judges knew before who the rabbit belonged to.

I used to show/handle Sporting dogs, Setters, Retreivers, etc. I left the dog show world 9 years ago for the same reasons. Couldn't take the politics and "cut-throat" attitudes. (It wasn't the dogs I couldn't stand... it was what was on the OTHER end of the leash!)

I have not found that within the rabbit show world. Pam is right, for the most part, 99% of the judges I have shown underhave been ethical, fair and honest. I've been showing for 10 years and found rabbit people (well, 99%, LOL!) to be generous, helpful, considerate and kind. When my kids got into it, people were practically giving my girls rabbits to help them win. (Ever see a dog person do that?) Judges were informative and kind, explaining things to them so they would learn. (Ever see a dog judge do that?)

(BTW... Pam is an absolute pleasure to watch judging. I learn so much from her and her handling of the different breeds.)

Thanks for the insight, I feel much better about pursuing this hobby. I don't know a lot of people yet but the ones I do know are really,really nice and helpful.

I wish dog shows were more about the dogs rather than the handlers.

My husbands teases me saying "So how do you get the rabbits to hop around the ring?" LOL

Thanks again for all your information.

Kim

Latest posts

Back