Polish or Mini Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelby92227

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a pet rabbit and I have researched a few breeds options and I think I have narrowed it down to two, Polish and Mini Lop.

I am asking opinions as to which breed would be the best fit for me.

I plan to keep the rabbit inside. It will stay in a cage when I am not home and I plan to let it out to roam a safe room when I am home. I want a bunny that will play and seek attention from me. I own two cats, so I worry about that a little. But I have read many articles of people with cats and rabbits living together harmoniously.

Which breed would be best in a single rabbit household, wants human interaction, and be willing to sit with me and be pet?

Also, gender recomendation?

Thanks!!

I don't have much experience with either breed. Polish are smaller, their maximum weight is around 3 lbs and I'm sure a polish would be a great pet. A mini lop gets pretty big, up to 7 lbs. If you like the look of a mini lop maybe you would consider adopting a holland lop. That's what I raise. They weigh 3 to 4 lbs, they're adorable and make great pets! Mini lops make a great pet also but holland lops tend to be more popular because of their size.

As for gender, males tend to be a better pet because females are very hormonal and territorial. If you plan to neuter/spay then either gender will make a good pet.

Last edited:
Seeing as you have two cats, I would actually opt for a bigger breed rabbit, just to be sure that your cats aren't likely to mistake it for a small tasty prey. Accidents can happen even in the most carefully monitored house. Big rabbits are also a lot more mellow about having predators in their home than the tiny vulnerable bunbuns.

Personality varies more from rabbit to rabbit than from breed to breed. There are snuggly, sociable Polish as well as very independent Polish, and so on. Just like people. The best way to find a rabbit with a sociable personality is to visit lots of adult ones and spend some time with them.

I personally really like my polish. Shes calm when I hold her but perfers to stay on the ground.

That being said, you arent ever guaranteed a rabbit that will be affectionate or want attention. Most rabbits dont like to be picked up or touched.

In my house we have a polish buck and a lionhead doe.Recommend neutering if you get a buck. They will spray to own their area. We also have 3 cats. One is a hunter. And actually he's afraid of my Polish. My Lionhead doe is sweet but not a cuddle bun. Mason the polish will cuddle like my daughter but he is a one human bun.The Polish is shown so that is why he is unaltered. Seffie also will be shown with my daughter in 4-h. It depends on your cats whether they like the buns or not. My one female likes to whap the buns on the head but she doesn't use her claws. So all mine are safe. I even have a pitbull. But they don't stay in the same room. But if he wanted them he could get to them.

Latest posts

Back