Poco stopped drinking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMom

Reaction score
I returned home on Sunday after being away sinceFriday night to find Poco's water bottle still full. She hadbeen eating and pooping, but her cage was completely dry. Iscrubbed out her water bottle and gave her fresh water in the bottleand also in a clean crock, but she still refuses to drink.Scott has been syringe-feeding her water and we've been giving herextra veggies to keep her hydrated. I've also tried thefruit-in-the-water trick, but she still hasn't touched thebottle. It's the same bottle she's been using all along.

The other two just got new water bottles recently. Could shebe protesting because she wants a new bottle too? (Hers was the onlyone not leaking, so I didn't bother replacing it.) She's alsobeen crankier than usual, but it's usually after the syringe-feeding,which she hates. Or maybe she's upset because we were away.

Any ideas? Everything I've looked up only talks about ifthey're not eating AND drinking, and she's eating the same as normal.

Thanks for your help.:)

Are you sure her water bottle is stillworking? Maybe it's time for a new one. You'redoing the right thing by syringing the water.

Yes, the water bottle still works, but she's not using it. I'm going to get her a new one anyway.

I also gave her water in a crock which she's not drinkingeither. I did put a few apple chunks and craisins in thewater crock, which she pulled out and ate, but she still left the water.

I'm just worried about my little girl.:(

If her appetite has slowed down, give her someNutrical. I hope it's not stasis setting in.:( Can you think of anything that may have stressed her out?

We were away most of last week, but I was homeat least every other day to clean and feed everybunny. Andshe doesn't like the syringe or Scott, so I'm sure that stresses hertoo.

The nutrical is a good idea - thanks. I know Scott gave hersome papaya earlier too. I hope she's back to normal soon.

It sounds like you're doing everything youshould be doing. I hope she gets better soon. Keepus posted. :)

Hi BunnyMom!

You might try putting some vanilla in her drinking water. When S'morewent into GI stat she stopped drinking and eating, but she seem to likethe taste of the vanilla in her water and she started to drink smallammounts on her own without being forced. I also used bottled water incase the water company had added or treated the tap water resulting ina different taste.

Some parsley may prompt her appetite, too.

Hi BunnyMom,

I'd give her NutriCal, syringe feed her canned pumpkin - every 4 hoursas much as she'll take - get some Pedialyte in her, and somesimethicone. I'm glad you did make an appt. with thevet. Maybe he can do an Xray and see if he can see ablockage. As you know, fresh pineapple juice issaid to break down the mucus that holds the fur together, but theverdict is still out on the effect enzymes has such issues.Whatever, I'd do it anyway.

Keep us posted.

(And let her run around. The exercise will do her some goodand hopefully move anything that's not budging as well as make herthirsty and hungry.)

Prayers are being said from here.

-Carolyn

Thank you all for your help! I'll callScott and have him put some vanilla in her water and let her run arounda little. I'll get some of the canned pumpkin and parsley onmy way home later.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers too. I am so stressed right now I can't even do my work.

BunnyMom wrote:
Idid put a few apple chunks and craisins in the water crock, which shepulled out and ate, but she still left the water.
It's good that she ate the apple. They have a lot of juice in them.

Knowing the turmoil you and Scott have been through with the loss ofhis father, and then you both being away, yes that could stressher. They pick up on our emotions so quickly.

Only a little while longer before she's off to the vet.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Scott took her to the vet last night.The vet said she has pneumonia, so she gave her a penicillin shot andhad her on an IV to hydrate her while she was there. I haveto give her Baytril twice a day and bring her in once a week for acheckup and more penicillin for the next few weeks. So she'sliving like the Queen she is with mommy and daddy waiting on her andtrying to give her extra attention and make her comfortable.

The Baytril would be sooooo much easier if she was eating like normal,but she's just nibbling, so I had the joy of stuffing one down hermouth this morning.:( Poor baby! I kept telling her"Mommy loves you - really!"

I moved the other bunnies into the living room temporarily so theydon't catch anything. I feel so bad for being away so muchlast week. I know that stresses them out, but Iwasn't expecting that kind of a reaction. Skittles peed on myfoot to let me know she was upset - I think I much preferred that kindof protest! I'm glad we were able to get her to the vet rightaway. I just hope she gets better soon. The vetthinks she'll start eating and drinking normally again once theantibiotics kick in.

Thank you all for your prayers and advice!:)

O jeez! This season is proving terrible forpeople and bunnies alike for geting sick!! I hope Poco is back to 100%soon ... the antibiotics should have everthing right in a short while.. but I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!! :pray:

Your little ones couldn't be in better care than in yours and Scott's hands.

Prayers continue.

:sickbunny:

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back