PLEASE PLEASE HELP - BROKEN BONE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
I am literally freaking out and don't know what to do...

About 15 mins ago my new cat charged past my bunnies unexpectedly -they are not bonded and the bunnies were sat at the top of my stairs -the bunnies were so shocked at the speed of the cat that they panickedand threw themselves down the stairs in a complete panic. Thebuck is now limping on his front paw. He seems to be able tosit down comfortably but can't put weight on the front paw - does thissound like a broken bone and is it fixable? I'm terrified that he willhave to be put to sleep. Should I take him to the vet firstthing in the morning - I've had a ring round but theer are very fewvets on call round here overnight. Please please help!

The cat is locked away in a room and I think after this I'm going to betaking him back to the shelter - I know it's not his fault as he wasn'tmeaning to scare the bunnies but this is a risk I cannot take again -that's if the buck (benjamin in my avatar) pulls through.

I'm sick with panic - please help - please can someone reply????

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, you should take him to the vet first thing in themorning. For tonight, the best thing you can do is to put himin an area that he won't move around much - perhaps a rabbit carrier,make him comfortable, make sure he can get to his water andpellets. If you have any baby aspirin in the house, you mightwant to give him a bit to take the edge off of the pain. Tryto keep him as quiet as possible.

-Carolyn

One last thing: A rabbit can healquite well with a broken leg if it's treated properly. Yourvet might want to give the little one an anti-inflammatory andsomething to get the appetite going again. (if you haveNutriCal or it's British Subsitute, you might give the little one someof that to boost the immune system and stimulate theappetite. Make sure the rabbit stays hydrated through thenight.) Usually, it's when they break their back is whenthey're often times put to sleep. Many rabbits do well evenwith missing limbs.

:pray:

Thank you so much for the replyCarolyn. I have something similar to nutrical that I willgive to him. I don't keep aspirin or anything like that inthe house so I don't have a pain killer - so far there has been noteeth grinding so I'm not sure how bad his pain is.He is satwith his doe and still cleaning her every once in a while so I thinkshe is calming him.

I am so upset over this, I love that bunny so much

Hi RebeccaUK!

So sorry to hear about the mishap.

I remember when Sara's Arwin broke her leg. She had a pretty pink castput on and I seem to remember that things turned out ok. I bumped thethread for you.

Good thoughts and prayers sent your way!!

~Jim

Try to calm down, Rebecca. I know you're besideyourself, but they rarely put a rabbit to sleep because of a brokenlimb. Just try to keep the little guy from hoppingaround. There are rabbits that can manage better than youthink with disabilities even if the leg isn't set quiteright. It may just need a splint and will heal itself.

No worries about not having the baby aspirin. Woulddefinitely take him to the vet first thing though. He reallyshould be seen and have some Xrays done so that they can see what'sgoing on in there.

For now, just make him as comfortable as possible, which I'm sure youhave done and as noted, make sure he doesn't have to reach for water orfood if he wants it.

Poor little guy. I feel badly for you too. Willdefinitely be thinking and praying for you. More often thannot, rabbits are just fine after something like this. It'sthe back that they can't recover from.

-Carolyn

RebeccaUK wrote:
He is sat with his doe and still cleaning her every once ina while so I think she is calming him.

Would keep her with him. :) It might be stressfulfor him if he's separated from him. Just make sure sheremainscalm as well.

-Carolyn

Thanks Jim and Carolyn - as ever you are angels - it's amzing to know I can come on here and find instant answers to my turmoil.

Benjamin is sat - he looks comfortable and he has actually just washedhis face using both paws - would this be possible with a broken one -otherwise though he is still hopping/ sitting with the paw tucked up,

I feel terrible about returning the cat but I think I know deep downthat's what I have to do, perhaps I shouldn't have adopted it knowingthat I have house bunnies and knowing that it would be difficult tointegrate them. I will feel so cruel returning him to theshelter.

I will make that vets appointment for first thing in the morning - I'mkeeping the bunnies in their favourite spot for the night - sat on thealnding corner on their favourite mat and I've just brought in a rackof hay and some fresh veggies/herbs - Benjamin has even been tempted bythe fresh mint which is good.

Glad to hear he's tempted by the mint.If he was insevere pain, he'd be totallyuninterested. It's hard to say what he did, Rebecca. Could bea pulled muscle, a broken bone, a sprain. :dunno:Doc will clarify that with Xrays.

Rabbits are masters at hiding their pain. It's in theirnature. Best not to assume what's going on with him and justknow that he'll get everything he needs in the morning. Inthe meantime, at this point, his wound certainly doesn't sound fatal,by any means.

Try to keep him in an area so that he doesn't hop. You don'twant him to do any more damage than what already has beendone. That's why it helps to put them ina carrieror something of that sort with plenty of hay, etc.

Keep us posted!

-Carolyn

I will let you know what the vet says when I'veseen him. Will stop him hopping around as I have a very smallindoor run enclosure that I can put round the bunnies to minimisemovement.

Thanks again

Do you think the Rspca/ animal shelter will havean issue with me taking the cat back? I'm so scared that they willtreat me like a complete time-waster...the truth is that I just cannotrisk my rabbits, I'm fretting over returning the cat now too.

:pray:for your little bunny.

as for the cat, if you feel there is absolutely no way it will workout, well, it leaves you with little choice. you know the situationbest. accidents happen. maybe the cat needs a little time to settle.don't rush your decision to return the cat unless you really feel it'sfor the best,

good luck with whatever you decide,

Nicole

My cats and rabbits have always either ignoredeach other, played together a bit, or the rabbits have chased thecats. I've never had a cat act aggressively towards a rabbitexcept in self-defense (in which case if the rabbit gets swatted in thehead and gets no sympathy from me,the cat is off the hook).

But if you've got a cat that's not just reacting out of fear and showsaggressive interest in the rabbits, don't feel guilty about trading himin. (My rabbits have never been afraid of my cats, if yoursare that nervous, maybe they know something we don't).

Its rare in my experience, not worth the chance, and it should be easyenough to rescue another more compatible kitty. (Most of themare).

RebeccaUK wrote:
Do you think the Rspca/ animal shelter will have an issue withme taking the cat back? I'm so scared that they will treat me like acomplete time-waster...the truth is that I just cannot risk my rabbits,I'm fretting over returning the cat now too.

Don't fret over returning the cat. You tried it out and it didn't quitework out the way you had wished it would. It happens, and theshelters/RSPCAs know that.

I know people that had to do that last week. The people at the shelterweren't thrilled to have the cat back, but that's what they're therefor in the first place and they did take the cat back.

Not all cats and rabbits get along. That said, Nicky has a good point about them being acclimated.

If you're not comfortable with the cat and the rabbits being together, then follow your instincts and do what you have to do.

People get mad and then they get over it. Don't let a cold shoulder stop you from what you feel is best.

:)

That's my opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest.

-Carolyn

one of my bunnies broke his leg last year. wehave no idea how. but it CAN be fixed! they heal very well :)he was back to his old self very very quickly.. even with his cast onhe still wanted to go everywhere!

RebeccaUK wrote:
I will let you know what the vet says when I've seen him.? Willstop him hopping around as I have a very small indoor run enclosurethat I can put round the bunnies to minimise movement.

Thanks again

Smart move! :sunshine:

-Carolyn

I am sorry Benjimen got hurt. I hope he isok. Sorry that you have to give the catback but i understand you have to do what is best for the bunnies.

Cristy

*****************(My rabbits have never beenafraid of my cats, if yours are that nervous, maybe they know somethingwe don't). ******************

I dont think the rabbits are nervouseof the cat , Think for a moment ,

Startle reflex, had you been on the stairsand the cat came flying out ofnowhere it could have very well been youtumbling down the stairs ,

Keep us Posted

Back