Please help is Pugsly sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugslysmom

Reaction score
:(Ive had Pugsly about six months veryloving tame bunny. Recently he started to make purr like sounds veryloudly I let it go for a day then took him to a vet. Hes been takingantbiotic since last Saturday and is still making the sound. Books saypurring is good but he never stops and why after having him for sixmonths would he all of a sudden start purring like that constantly. Ifhes sick why arent the atibiotics kicking in yet?? Does anyone knowwhat this means??

Hard to tell without actually hearingit. "Purring" in rabbits usually refers to grinding soundthey make with their teeth when happy. It may also be anormal vocal sound the rabbit is making.

A congested breathing sound can have any number of causes includingirritants, pathogens ortumors in the nasalpassages. Being over weight can also contribute to laboredbreathing.

Blood tests can be helpful in ruling pathogens out and giving a better idea of what medications would be effective.

Pam

Pugslysmom wrote:
...Does anyone know what this means??
No, constant "purring" is a bit unusual. Is there anything inthe bun's demeanor, posture, stance, appearance, etc. that suggests hemay be in any degree of discomfort?

Rabbits sometimes "grind" their teeth when in pain or discomfort, butthey usually appear listless, uncomfortable, or not quitefocused. Your description of loud, purr likesoundsdoesn't give us enough information to determine if its"purring for pleasure" or "purring for pain."

Sorry, we can't be more helpful at this juncture. What wasthe vet's diagnosis? That might give some of us a better ideaof what to suggest. What meds were prescibed and for whatpurpose, ostensibly?

Buck

I wish I had asked the vet for more information.He really liked the bun and I went to him because he takes exoticssnakes, bunnies, chickens, horses etc.. My family vet only dealt withcats and dogs. So this vet was new to me on reccomendation, he seemedto have knowledge of the bunny and was really gentle with him. He saidit was an infection that started in the mouth perhaps a wound fromchewing on the wire on his cage, he said it was in his lungs not histeeth (I initially thought the sound was comming from his teeth). Hegave the bunny Vitamin C injections something called SMZ injection andgave me Nystatin suspension and SMZ TMP Liquid (Im sorry I dont knowwhat these abbreviations mean thats what is on the bottle. I give him2ml and 1 ml every night of each drug. My concern is if it is some sortof lung infection wouldnt the purring or rattling sound (only way I candescribe it) stop by now?

What is even further confusing aside from the noise isheseems fine. Active, eating and drinking. Hes running around the houseright now. Unfortunately the vets on Holiday now. I wouldnt say heappears to be in any pain. Ive never had a sick rabbit and I was hopingsomebody here had some experience like this. Ive heard bunnies can govery quickly and Im afraidsomething bad couldhappen.

What kind of bedding and litter are you using for him?

Cedar and pine shavings are bad for them. Respiratory issues can result from the use of those.

Can you give us details of the products and foods you use for him oraround him? Pinesol is bad to use around him, bleach isbad. You should clean his area with vinegar and water......

Those are just a few things I can think of at the moment .....

We live in Florida so he runs free on our screenporch. The only thing I put in his cage is hay and the temp has droppedto 30 a couple of times last we so I went heavy on the hay its Alfalfafrom the feed store. He gets pellets from the feed store - Bunny chowand lots of fresh greens apples carrots bananas (as treats inmoderation). My husband says I should describe the sound that pugs ismaking more like a rattling or a plane engine not purring but to me itsounds just like a cat purring loudly. zim sitting up worrying with himnow because it seems to be getting louder hes in my bathroom off mybedroom and I can hear him in bed!! Hes laying out all stretched outand looking fine and I think he wishes I would leave him alone.:shock:

Is the hay bagged hay or like barn hay? bales?

Bo, my 7 mo old mini-rex, was allergic to barn hay and would sneeze andcough all the time when I was giving it to him. The barn typehay has TONS of dust for some reason. Also, you don't knowwhere it has been. Could be he's allergic to something thatit was around .....

Its bale hay, maybe hes snuffed some of down intohis lungs and its an irritant and causing all this noise? It soundspossible we started using the hay when it got cold. At least if this isthe answer Im hoping removing the hay will solve the problemand this is probabley not a fatal illness??

Doesn't sound fatal if he's being his usual self.But alfalfa hay is really "dirty"--I'm experimenting with marsh haymyself, and find it has a lot less dust. It remains to be seen if itmakes a difference though, to my allergic bun.

Fen's sinuses are plugged, and he makes a wheezing sound when it'sreally bad--and just sounds snuffly otherwise. I've never heard purringor rattling from him.

I only heard tooth purring once, from one of my does. It was prettyweird and rattly--sounded like a cat--but it wasn't constant. Mycurrent does tend to grind their teeth and lick their lips when happy,not the same sound as the purr.

Rose

P.S. put your hand on him while he's doing it. If you feel vibrationsonhis jaw and head, that's where it's coming from. If fromhis chest, it's probably a lung thing.

Sorry, I had to get to bed last night.I would definitely take that dusty stuff out of his cage.Then use something else for bedding. It might cost more toget some good clean hay at the petstore, but it would be worthit. Shake it out before putting it in with him too.

I was amazed how badly Bo coughed and sneezed around barn hay!

If the sounds continue, I would take him back to the vet. Hemight need to be on medicines for a longer time, or something.

Good luck and let us know what happens. :)

Thankyou everyone! I finally went to bed lastnight as well butI woke up to that purring but he reallyseems fine, Made a mess out of my bathroom playing with everthing hesso naughty!! I will take your suggestions - I will have to wait untilafter Christmas for the vet I think that is why I was panicing I justexpected the medicine to work and he would be fine by now.

Latest posts

Back