Please help!! Aggressive rabbit!!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenstacy74

Reaction score
So here I am back again with another problem. Change of pase because I am at my whits end with Eugene my 3year old mini lop. For about a month now he has not left my doe (Cora) along CONSTANTLY mounting her every 5 seconds; even if I do push him off, se cries out all day and night trying to get him away. As of about 10 minutes ago she snapped and bit him (didn’t draw blood) but now he will not stop attacking her, keeps like pouncing on her and chasing her around trying to bite her face?!?’ They’ve been bonded for 2 years and have never had a fight and I know the whole “spring fever” and whatever but this has been constant for a month and I can’t deal with the fact that she’s actively trying to make him stop, and nothing I do is helping and it’s making me feel like a fucking awful owner, so, he was attacking her and I pulled her out and away from him and he started trying to attack me? And I really don’t know what to do, I’m freaking out, crying and shaking they’ve never fought like this. And Eugene is currently in a carry case because he keeps trying to bite us and I don’t have anywhere to put him because they’re freeroam, please help???

So here I am back again with another problem. Change of pase because I am at my whits end with Eugene my 3year old mini lop. For about a month now he has not left my doe (Cora) along CONSTANTLY mounting her every 5 seconds; even if I do push him off, se cries out all day and night trying to get him away. As of about 10 minutes ago she snapped and bit him (didn’t draw blood) but now he will not stop attacking her, keeps like pouncing on her and chasing her around trying to bite her face?!?’ They’ve been bonded for 2 years and have never had a fight and I know the whole “spring fever” and whatever but this has been constant for a month and I can’t deal with the fact that she’s actively trying to make him stop, and nothing I do is helping and it’s making me feel like a fucking awful owner, so, he was attacking her and I pulled her out and away from him and he started trying to attack me? And I really don’t know what to do, I’m freaking out, crying and shaking they’ve never fought like this. And Eugene is currently in a carry case because he keeps trying to bite us and I don’t have anywhere to put him because they’re freeroam, please help???
Baring in mind this is EXTREAMLY out of character for him, he has never bit me or anyone else in the 3years I’ve had him, he is usually the cuddliest sweetest boy buti don’t know where this behaviour switch has come from, yes I do have a new buck in the house that I haven’t bonded in yet, but this mounting has been going on for a good while now, before I even got Milton

Baring in mind this is EXTREAMLY out of character for him, he has never bit me or anyone else in the 3years I’ve had him, he is usually the cuddliest sweetest boy buti don’t know where this behaviour switch has come from, yes I do have a new buck in the house that I haven’t bonded in yet, but this mounting has been going on for a good while now, before I even got Milton
From what I’ve read, it seems like the most likely answer is that they’ve had a falling out over something, because it’s not the same as just “spring fever” mounting, he is like targeting him, and has been for a while but it hasn’t got this bad, until tonight, everywhere I’ve read is telling me to separate them and that I’m going to have to rebond them, and I feel so so bad, i feel like I’ve done something wrong, and I’m scared that they’re gonna hurt eachother again in the future

Im not sure if youve mentioned it previously but are these 2 both spayed and neutered? And you also just brought home another mature rabbit?
They are both spayed and neutered, and I have a new rabbit in the house, he is 5 months but he isn’t “mature” yet, he hasn’t fully reached that point yet, and they havent been introduced or anything, I assume he can obviously smell him, but this behaviour has been occurring before I even brought the new rabbit home, it started and just grunting, chasing and mounting but it’s developed into, biting, excessive mouthing, chasing/circling and pinning her down, and they have actively had a fight to which I have separated them. But when I tired to help my female, he tried to attack me aswell.

Last edited:
They are both spayed and neutered, and I have a new rabbit in the house, he is 5 months but he isn’t “mature” yet, he hasn’t fully reached that point yet, and they have been introduced or anything, I assume he can obviously smell him, but this behaviour has been occurring before I even brought the new rabbit home, it started and just grunting, chasing and mounting but it’s developed into, biting, excessive mouthing, chasing/circling and pinning her down, and they have actively had a fight to which I have separated them. But when I tired to help my female, he tried to attack me aswell.
I didn’t buy the new rabbit that I have, I didn’t actually want anymore but it was a life or death situation for him as the precious owner said if I don’t tKe him then either she’ll “set him free” (release him in wild) or take him to be euthanised. He was quite badly neglected and o couldn’t leave him there, which I know bringing a new rabbit in like that isn’t ideal but I couldn’t sit there knowing how he was being treated and not do anything, I haven’t bonded them together yet as he is 5 months and a small breed, his testicles haven’t descended yet so my vet won’t do the surgery until they have, I have made sure to keep them separate and out of sight but they can still obviously smell eachother on me

It's possible this isn't just spring fever then, since it hasn't calmed down after a month. I mentioned the possibility of adrenal problems in your previous thread, or some other health issue can also cause sudden behavior changes in rabbits. It may be time to have your vet check his hormone levels and check for other possible health causes. That's about the only other option I can think for you to try, unless you want to still wait a few more weeks in hopes it is only spring fever and it will hopefully settle in that time.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Adrenal_disease

Him biting you is likely referred/ redirected aggression from her biting him and setting him off. It's pretty common for rabbits to do this when in fight mode. They aren't thinking about who it is they're biting, just responding to a perceived threat.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Aggressive_rabbits

But it does sound like they absolutely do have to be separated or you risk very serious injuries occurring. Maybe keep one in the bathroom or some other room with a door to keep them separated.

5 months is "mature" in the rabbit world.
If the relationship was already on the rocks bringing the new rabbit home likely did things in. Doesn't matter if they cant see each other.

You will most likely have to cage the pair totally away from each other and give them some divorce space for awhile. (as in they cant know the other exists) No more free roaming. Then after a couple months and a total change up of your envornment you could work on re-bonding them.

It's possible this isn't just spring fever then, since it hasn't calmed down after a month. I mentioned the possibility of adrenal problems in your previous thread, or some other health issue can also cause sudden behavior changes in rabbits. It may be time to have your vet check his hormone levels and check for other possible health causes. That's about the only other option I can think for you to try, unless you want to still wait a few more weeks in hopes it is only spring fever and it will hopefully settle in that time.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Adrenal_disease

Him biting you is likely referred/ redirected aggression from her biting him and setting him off. It's pretty common for rabbits to do this when in fight mode. They aren't thinking about who it is they're biting, just responding to a perceived threat.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Aggressive_rabbits

But it does sound like they absolutely do have to be separated or you risk very serious injuries occurring. Maybe keep one in the bathroom or some other room with a door to keep them separated.
They are separated and he has calmed down,I sat with him and he gave me some kisses but I’ll keep them apart, they’re all going to the vet anyway on Monday, so I’ll ask them to run some more test, as I’d rather not risk it and if it comes down to it, I’ll just rebond them :)

5 months is "mature" in the rabbit world.
If the relationship was already on the rocks bringing the new rabbit home likely did things in. Doesn't matter if they cant see each other.

You will most likely have to cage the pair totally away from each other and give them some divorce space for awhile. (as in they cant know the other exists) No more free roaming. Then after a couple months and a total change up of your envornment you could work on re-bonding them.
They’re all separated, Eugene has calmed down, I’m taking them all to the vet tomorrow anyway, so I will request some further health check just Incase and I’m waiting on getting Milton (the new rabbit) neutered, I’ll see what they say tomorrow, thank you and @JBun for the help :)

I thought I'd add some info on bonding in case you don't have a lot of experience with it.

Trios can be the most difficult bond, especially when 2 of the rabbits are male. It can end up with 2 buns pairing up and excluding the third bun, or worst case is fighting and needing separation. So there is the possibility of ending up with an unsuccessful trio, with the third bun not bonding. Then it will be keeping that bun separate, finding another bun companion to bond to that bun and just have 2 pairs or attempt bonding again but with a quad, or rehoming the lone bun to a good home.

So when you have your one buns hormonal/aggression issues solved and settled, and this new bun neutered with 4-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to subside, just be prepared for these possibilities when trying to bond the 3 together. This is just the worst case possibility. There's certainly the possibility that they'll all three bond well after your boy buns issues are resolved.

Good luck at the vets. Hopefully the vet can figure out what's going on with your boy bun and have a solution.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

I thought I'd add some info on bonding in case you don't have a lot of experience with it.

Trios can be the most difficult bond, especially when 2 of the rabbits are male. It can end up with 2 buns pairing up and excluding the third bun, or worst case is fighting and needing separation. So there is the possibility of ending up with an unsuccessful trio, with the third bun not bonding. Then it will be keeping that bun separate, finding another bun companion to bond to that bun and just have 2 pairs or attempt bonding again but with a quad, or rehoming the lone bun to a good home.

So when you have your one buns hormonal/aggression issues solved and settled, and this new bun neutered with 4-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to subside, just be prepared for these possibilities when trying to bond the 3 together. This is just the worst case possibility. There's certainly the possibility that they'll all three bond well after your boy buns issues are resolved.

Good luck at the vets. Hopefully the vet can figure out what's going on with your boy bun and have a solution.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
I knew it’d be more difficult to bond a trio, I was debating whether to try to bond the three or to wait until Milton is neutered and adopt a prespayed doe and bond them into a quad so there isn’t any being left out, would you say I should do that? I know you mentioned it, but would I be a better idea to try the trio or attempt a quad?

I knew it’d be more difficult to bond a trio, I was debating whether to try to bond the three or to wait until Milton is neutered and adopt a prespayed doe and bond them into a quad so there isn’t any being left out, would you say I should do that? I know you mentioned it, but would I be a better idea to try the trio or attempt a quad?
Also, any ideas on how long I should wait before putting Eugene and Cora together or even if it’s rebonding in a neutral space? I’m prepared for unbonded rabbits with the potential of fighting (Eugene and Milton) it just gave me quite a fright because they have never been aggressive towards each-other and Eugene really hasn't paid much attention to Milton either.. but with that already been discussed, ill do as you have advised. a weird thing that happened this morning is, all the rabbit are in my room as i have no other option of housing for them just yet (sorting out another room to separate Milton, and Eugene and Cora are on one side of the and Milton on the other, with the front facing panel of his cage covered with a blanket, so Eugie cant see him ( vice versa) anyway Eugene and Cora where sleeping along the sides of their cage (as if the were laying together) and when i got up to give them breakfast Eugene woke up, saw Cora and immediately started thrashing about the bars trying to attack her, he has stopped trying to bite me and seems to not have a whole lot of interest in Milton either, like while I set up his cage the little bugger ran between my arms, and rather than going for Milton who could now see him from that angle, he still went straight for Cora (I caught him before he reached the cage) has even gave me kisses and let me sit with him and he jumped into my lap etc, he’s being calm with us, but Cora must have really ticked him off somehow..?

Also, any ideas on how long I should wait before putting Eugene and Cora together or even if it’s rebonding in a neutral space? I’m prepared for unbonded rabbits with the potential of fighting (Eugene and Milton) it just gave me quite a fright because they have never been aggressive towards each-other and Eugene really hasn't paid much attention to Milton either.. but with that already been discussed, ill do as you have advised. a weird thing that happened this morning is, all the rabbit are in my room as i have no other option of housing for them just yet (sorting out another room to separate Milton, and Eugene and Cora are on one side of the and Milton on the other, with the front facing panel of his cage covered with a blanket, so Eugie cant see him ( vice versa) anyway Eugene and Cora where sleeping along the sides of their cage (as if the were laying together) and when i got up to give them breakfast Eugene woke up, saw Cora and immediately started thrashing about the bars trying to attack her, he has stopped trying to bite me and seems to not have a whole lot of interest in Milton either, like while I set up his cage the little bugger ran between my arms, and rather than going for Milton who could now see him from that angle, he still went straight for Cora (I caught him before he reached the cage) has even gave me kisses and let me sit with him and he jumped into my lap etc, he’s being calm with us, but Cora must have really ticked him off somehow..?
I’m sorry for the repetitive commenting, just came to mind, could it be that I’m sick? I suppose it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to why he’d attack Cora over it but, around the beginning of this month is around the time Eugene started acting strange I was in and out of hospitals and I still haven’t recovered, maybe my scent has been thrown off as I was unfortunate of being on the receiving end of bad side effects of prescribed medication and got very bad liver/pancreatic/kidney damage, I’m still in and out of testing and unsure if I’m getting better, so is it possible he could sense that I’m unwell on top of Miltons presence?

Back