PETA euthanizes 50 of 52 rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is nothing new. The shelters in the same town as peta headquarters put down about 2-3% of the animals they take in every year. Peta puts down 70-97% every year with the percentage increasing most years. Their adoption rate is less than 1%. While I don't believe we can get away with all no-kill shelters and I'm actually kind of against the idea their numbers are excessive. Especially considering that nearby shelters often complain that PETA has taken some of the most adoptable animals to be put down. No one wants to make too much noise about this though since PETA has so much backing by the public and media.

Just saw what Pipp wrote, so I have sent you this as a pm, Crystal.
:confused2::expressionless

Jen

golfdiva wrote:
It's not just PETA as is pointed out in these articles. The Humane Society is about as bad. It makes very little attempt to adopt it's animals. My husband and I have 5 adopted kids, we past the home study with flying colors, but the Humane Society won't let us adopt a dog!!

That's crazy! Our humane societes (Michigan Humane Society- where I got my rabbits, and Huron Valley, the one closest to me)... they let anyone adopt an animal, as long as they qualify.

They have a LOT of paperwork, making it so you have to be serious and you have to do your research, do your work. And you have to fill out paperwork as if you were adopting the animal before you even can see them one-on-one.

Not only that, they check how many pets you have registered, and if you're over the limit, or just at it, you cannot adopt one. If you're close, they warn you.

Because our mailing address is South Lyon, and you're only allowed 3 pets in SL. So the lady gave us a lot of crap. But we actually live in Salem, which means we can have 6 pets.

Most breed rescues will not let me adopt for one reason or another. The akita rescue said I didn't have enough experience with japanese breeds and that akitas can't be in homes with other animals. I got one from a breeder and she helps me check kits and feed rabbits. The shiba rescue wouldn't adopt to me because I had an akita. Again we ended up finding a good breeder.

One local no kill shelter is also more of a problem than solution. Their strict adoption policies and resultant high prices make it near impossible to adopt anything. If you see an animal you like it will likely be gone by the time your application is accepted. They have filled the place with pets which are difficult to adopt and they won't budge on the rules for. Now they end up turning away nearly everyone who finds or otherwise can't keep a pet sending them to vets or animal control to be euthanized. This is why I don't entirely agree with no kill shelters. Animals still die and some aren't put down humanely because the owners abandon them to die of dehydration, heat stroke, or starve since no one will take them.

I still say PETA's numbers are rather excessive though. Even the shelters who seem to be working against themselves manage better adoption rates than that.

i think that is outragious. they should be doing whatever they have to do to adopt out those pets! , i mean put flyers up and stuff. that is FAR to many deaths when they are suppose to be there to get a seconde chance! , i know our local shelter has publicity and try very hard ! it is a long process to adopt but all worth it !, i disagree with PETA. i had never heard from them before now and to be honest i am pissed.

I just think they really need to take a step back and think about what they are trying to do.

Basically the aim of any animal lover is to make sure all animals have a great quality of life free from suffering, and full of happiness.

I don't know about you, but whenever I see the love a dog has for its owner, and the way all you have to do is look at your dog for its tail to wag and all it takes is a smile and suddenly you are pounced on and being licked to death, well that's all I need to know when it comes to whether pets should be kept or not!!!!!! :D

I do have to say, though, not everyone is fit to own a pet. And a strict screening process should be put into place. Kind of like adopting a child I guess.

Jen

Myia09 wrote:
Hmm..well PETA doesn't believe in keeping pets of any kind. So that right there just shows you.
I agree totally. PETA doesn't believe we should keep animals as pets. They don't make that statement very clear to everyone who knows about them, unfortunately. I wonder if people knew that PETA was against owning pets, if they would surrender their pets to them? I know that if, heaven forbid, I had to rehome a pet, I would try to place it with a no-kill rescue or our Humane Society (which is essentially no-kill when it comes to small animals and rabbits), never with PETA.

Back