Personal Check-ups

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pygmy Fan wrote:
Well,evry other dayI like to sit on theback porch where my bunnies are free to go in and out of the4(feet)(length) by 2(feet)(width),to the 5(feet) by 10(feet) (about)porch.But if your busy it can be done wekly, max.I take my seat, sitdown and pick one up and start the procedure.

1:I check the ears first.I run my fingertoward their neckslowly to look for mites or red bumps.If there are any, I'd need someflea spray, spray it into a measuring cup, then nto an eye dropper, butonly for the outer part of the ear.Use Linseed oil for the inside withan eye dropper.I also smell the ear, if it smells like yoursneeze(boogers/Mucous), they're sick.Also to tell if their since, Ifeel the inside for waxiness.

2:Second, I check the eyes.I first pick off the sleepers at the cornerof their eyes, they really appreciate it.Also, I make sure their clearand shiny.I use cottonballs or my fingers(clean) for getting stuff outof their eyes.

3:Fingernails I check next.I just make sure they're not bleeding, andthat they don't succeed the limit of over 1 centimeter.I use cat nailclippers.Cats can be used too.When cleaning blood, I wet a cotton ball(not completely) and dab it on a few times, and dry it.

4:I brush the fur everyday to make sure it's glossy for my adultPatches, and fluffy for my baby Speckles.You should get a double sidedbrush.I also push it towards the neck to look for bumps, wounds,swellings, or mites.I brush everywhere including the belly, back, head,cheeks, tail, foot pads, above pads, thighs, shoulders, andso on.And also, Ipick off dust, or crumbs of some sort after a walk.

5: I check the teeth, together, for a small rabbit, they should only bealmost a centimeter each.Medium, about a centimeter each.Large, alittle over 1 1/2 of a centimeter or so, maybe even two.To keep themhealthy, I help them chew on their bark bites.After every successfulbite, I pet them.

6:I then check the nose.I onlycheck ifnose is runny or wet, itis sick.

I would then praise, give them a treat, or both when it is all done.

If anyone has anything to add, or comment, please do( but not rudely).
How do you check if the nose is wet??? and where would it be wet?

Well, I can say I have never seen a sick rabbit,but I know what a healthy one looks like. If you rabbit nostrils looksoft and moist (not wet!), that is healthy. If they look like they havemucous (boogers, snot) or its nose is running and/or the rabbit issneezing, then it is sick and should be taken to the Vet.

Hope that helps.

Back