Pernod and her Shadow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how we now have a new bunny, Ithought I'd start a new blog. I didn't know how to put theposts already written about Shadow on here, so this is the link to howI got him. Thank you for all you comments on him :)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9505&forum_id=6&page=9

Last night, we put Pernod in her cage (much to her annoyance) and letShadow have a run around the lounge. He had a great time exploring, andmarking, everything. There was a trail of poop the length of the wallof China. And, may I say, massive poops :shock:. I suppose thebigger the bunny, the bigger the poop!!!

Pernod was like a thing possessed in the cage, so after about 20 mins,I put him back in - or should I say tried to put him back in. It tookme over half an hour. Every time I gor near him, he did a half jump andran off, shaking his head in a mini binky. Eventually he flopped and Igot him in!

This morning, he had his vet check up, and he is just fine. He weighsjust under 8 and a half pounds, so a little light for a New Zealand(9-11 lbs). He had his nails cut and was very well behaved. He is nowchilling out on the landing, and Pernod is quite relaxed downstairs.When john gets in, we may try and see how they get on. Will let youknow :). Oh, and I'll try and get some pics soon.

Jan

Sounds like he is settling in nicely!

I know what you mean about those big poops! :sweep...

All of mykids are under 5 lbs, and this biggie girl that Imfostering is about the same size as Shadow. Its weird to see those bigpoops when youre used to thetiny ones!

Heres hoping bonding goes well. Im sure Pernod will be so happy to have a buddy again once she gets used to the idea.

Should I take pictures of Tiny's poops???

I'm so happy for you and I love the name Shadow. I was really hopingyou would wind up getting another bun - not that you can ever replacethe one you lost....but it can help to ease the pain...

Peg

LuvaBun wrote:
There was a trailof poop the length of the wall of China. And, may I say, massivepoops :shock:. I suppose the bigger the bunny, the bigger the poop!!!

i know about the poops! when we had bruno, a big flemmi boy, it was like a trail of milk-duds were-ever he went

Looking forward to getting to know Shadow andcontinuing to hear about Pernod! Fingers crossed sometime in the futureyou will be able to post Pernod loves/tolerates Shadow photos!! ;)
:purplepansy:Lara and Bangbang

OK, now to update. Last night, Pernod had calmeddown a little, and she and Shadow were sniffing through the cage. SoJohn and I decided to have the first intruduction. It lasted about aminute and didn't go well. The fur flew, and Pernod got me onmy finger - the same finger she bit last August :?. So that was thatfor last night.

Today, I was at work, but John let Shadow go out in the back garden,and he loved it :)(Pernod was inside). He stayed out foraround 3 hours, having a good old explore. Tonight, we tried anotherbrief bonding in a different area, with the same result :(. I guess itis going to be a long haul.

I was re-reading about Nadia's trials with Misty and Charlie, andPernod soundsSimilar to Misty (although she doesn't attack usunless we get in the way), and look atthose two now. That hasgiven me great hope and encouragement :).

John did manage to get some photos of the new boy, so......

Shadow1.jpg
Gotta get clean to go outside

Shadow4.jpg

Outside mommy's room

Shadow11.jpg

Oohhh, I like it under this tree

Shadow10.jpg

Shadow7.jpg

Now I gotta clean my feet to go inside (notice the tongue :))

Jan

Oh, Jan, he's so pretty! What a gorgeous, shiny coat!

I'm sure Pernod will come around eventually. She just needs a little time to get used to Shadow.

Have you tried putting them onthediningtable? We've used that before. Youhave to have two peopleto make sure no one tries to jumpoff.

Don't worry Jan - Pernod will come around.

Like you said - if Misty and Charlie ended up liking each other, any buns can end up being friends.

It took me about 5 months total and I forced it. I made herspend time with him in the same room and she spent about 90% of hertime attacking his cage bars for about 2 months and then little bylittle started getting tired of it...

And car rides were what cinched it for me at the end.

Well, Shadow has been here 10 days now, and has settled right at home. Unfortunately, the bonding is not going well at all. They lay beside each other when one is in the cage and the other out, but as soon as we let them both out, Pernod goes wild. She launches herself at Shadow, and he defends himself. As he is much bigger than Pernod she comes off the worst, and has several small bites. Luckily, they have all scabbed over, and there is no sign of anything wrong with them.

I am sure Shadow just wants to be friends - he never attacks her, just sticks up for himself. I feel sooo bad, because he can't understand what's wrong, and Pernod looks totally miserable when he is out and she is in the cage (she has never been in the cage during the day in the 4 years we've had her). When I'm at work, she is downstairs and Shadow is upstairs. I even let him have the run of the bedroom, as he is litter trained.

I can't remember if anyone else here has a New Zealand, but I have to say that Shadow has a lovely nature. He gets upset if he gets told off, but I only have to tell him once if he's doing something bad (chewing or digging) and he doesn't do it again. He is very gentle, and loves to cuddle. And is extremely playful - he throws his wicker balls around, runs in and out of the tunnel, and binkies all over the place. John bought him a stuffed toy elephant, which he decided needed a bath - he picked it up, took it to his water bowl and dropped it in :disgust:.

I really hope he and Pernod become friends :(. However, taking him back is not an option - I've fallen for him totally :).

More pics - out in the garden again yesterday

Shadow_001.jpg

Shadow_003.jpg

Shadow_004.jpg

And, not forgetting Pernod :)

Pernod002.jpg

Pernod001.jpg

Jan

Aw, Jan. I'm sorry you're having trouble with Pernod. Maybe she's just not ready yet.

Have you tried dabbing vanilla on their necks, then smooshing them together side by side while petting both of them? You'll need John's help for that one.

Shadow is really beautiful and sounds like a real sweetheart. I'm glad he's settling in so well and behaving himself.

Shadow is gorgeous Jan!,and he sounds just so adorable,i love how he dropped his new toy into his water bowl..what a cheeky little guy lol

I'm sure Pernod and Shadow will eventually bond together,Pernod just wants to play 'hard to get' for a while;)

But when they do bond,they are going to make a gorgeous couple!:D

cheryl

Good luck with bonding Jan! Hopefully Pernod will come round:)

Shadow is so adorable, another member of the black bunny club!:colors: (I really think I should start one of them...)

And Pernod is just beautiful!:inlove:

Thanks everyone :). Well, Shadow has mastered the stairs :D. I was having to carry him up and down, but then I started walking behind him, with my hand under his butt, gently pushing him. He was very wary at first, and would not attempt to come down them. Then he very slowly went up on his own, and I swear he looked so pleased with himself ;). I didn't think he would try and come down, but he did, and went straight back up, then back down :shock2:. Now he is up them in 3 bounds.

We have also let him have full run of the bedroom. He loves it, and doesn't try and chew or destroy anything, so I feel I'm able to leave him.

As for the bonding :?. Well, since last weekend, we take them into the kitchen, with me sitting with Pernod on the floor, my hands on her shoulders so I am able to hold and pet her. We let Shadow come up to her, ashe isn't at all aggressive (John is on hand with the side of the run to put between them if anything goes wrong). So far so good - Pernod makes little grunting/clucky noises and Shadow sniffs at her. We give them a treat afterwards, and make a big fuss of them. At least this is a (very small) step forward. We are keepin everything crossed :)

Jan

Back