peeing in nestbox??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

Reaction score
I have a first time mini lop mom who had 8 kits. They are all doing well, but I think Mom is peeing in the nestbox. I noticed how wet the bedding was the other day so i ended up cleaning it out and putting dry bedding back in. Today i noticed one of the kits white fur was yellow so I pulled it out and noticed all the bedding is soaked again. this is the first time I have had a rabbit do that. Has anyone else had the same problem and was there anything you could do?:?

Maybe try putting a second box in the cage if there is room and put any bedding from the box she is in now in the new box so maybe she will start to use a different box and not tinkle on her wee ones. Maybe she will smell her urine placed in the other box and start to use that one instead. This is just a wild guess and what I would try. Not sure if she is being lazy, doesn't want to leave her kits or something maybe going on health wise.

It could also be that the nest box is too big so she's using it to hang out in. The nest box should be just big enough for the doe to fit in, but not comfortably.

If you don't have a better fitting box, then moving it to a different corner is your best option.

Also, wipe the kits off from her peeing on them, especially their faces as does urinating on the babies is the biggest cause of eye infections.

Latest posts

Back