pasteurella advice: Going in circles with vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having this same problem OP! I just got my bun a couple weeks ago and he's only 11 weeks and I took him to the vet a few days ago when I noticed similar symptoms as you did: he had a bit of a runny nose but his discharge was clear and there was no crust but you can tell it was damp and he sneezed a couple times. He was given baytril and since then I haven't heard him sneeze and his nose isn't quite as damp anymore. You said you found the baytril and a shot worked? Was it the penicillin shot? And did you notice any difference from the baytril alone?
He's my first rabbit so I might be paranoid but I really hope he doesn't go backwards - he seems to be getting well so I really hope I'm not told that he needs X-rays and what not

Hi! Sorry I am just getting back to you!

Now I am trying to remember what happened...
He was on TWO antibiotics. The baytril was the second. It didnt really do anything. The shot I have no idea what it was, she might have said. That seemed to work though...

Also, I really have a hunch it was "stress and also litter". Litter as in the cedar stuff was bothering him. I also think since your bunny is new, he could be under stress.

Mine, knock on wood, is fine now. Try not to worry too much. It sorta sounds the same...

also changed his hay to a less "dusty" one, to a longer strand. He gets a handle full of Sherwood Forest pellets a day, a bunny salad of cilantro, small strawberry, and a mixture of leaves (like those tubs, the organic triple washed) and unlimited hay.

the bedding we use now is "carefresh".

Oh okay thanks for getting back to me!! What brand of hay are you using? Because I feel like the dusty hay may have irritated my bunny a little. He's on alfalfa hay still so I'm not sure if timothy hay is less dusty or maybe it differs with brands??

Was the shot Convenia? It is a antibiotic shot that lasts around 8 days. I think it would be good for your own reference to know what he shot was, it might help you if the symptoms comes back. If the shot wasn't an antibiotic and was some sort of antihistimine or steroid and it seemed to clear it up that might indicate it was an allergic reaction. If the shot was an antibiotic an it helped it was probably some kind of infection.

http://www.petco.com/product/120338...Rated_Rabbit_3-_-Carefresh Timothy Hay-120338

It was this and just look for LONG strands, it's Timothy- I would suggest that type.

I should call and see what shot they gave him. I think since he got better, I did not look back. Give it time, keep a close eye on him and see how you feel. It's easy to get paranoid, rabbits are so sensitive. It may be the "Stress" of moving.

What kind of litter are you using?

I'm starting to get a bit stressed out again because he started sneezing again tonight and started making funny whistling noises again when he breathes sometimes :/ none of the noises including the sneezing are loud, they're quiet and he hasn't made them since we were at the vets on thursday. But he doesn't look distressed or anything he's pretty relaxed and binkies so I just don't know what to think.

I was using care fresh up until two days ago, yesterday I had to use wood shavings again because I ran out of the care fresh, and today I picked up wood pellets instead (they're not treated). Is it possible he started sneezing again because of the shavings?? I can't believe I'm already having all of these problems and he's only 11 weeks :(

Yes, if he is allergic to the cedar or wood then I would not use it anymore.
I did the same, got the untreated wood pellets but apparently they can cause "dust" too. Just stick with the carefresh.

Cinnabun was doing binkies too. He also had that fast, quiet nose noise. He didn't sneeze though but all reactions could be different. Give the vet a call, they should be checking in with you anyway. Ask for another antibiotic. If he is no different then the last time but with the same symptoms, they don't need to see him again unless he is worse or needs the xrays in my opinion.

And you sound like me- I may have been more stressed than cinnabuns! I was looking at his nose all the time. I had to step back little and give it time. Don't be afraid to see another vet too or call around. The rabbit society online has a list. Keep me posted!

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Have you been able to check his nose right after he sneezes, and is the discharge still clear? I've had some experience with rabbits with snuffles like symptoms that sneezed, but they had white snot. They all where treated with Zithromax/Azithromycin and got better and never got sick again, but their symptoms were different because snot was white.

@bunbunsbinkies: He definitely hasn't gotten worse since the trip to the vet (thank god) but he wasn't sneezing for a few days and started that again. The vet I went to is approved by the HRS but I think I might go to another one to get another opinion :/ She told me I should bring him in four weeks after the baytril to get him checked out again.

@squidpop: the discharge is still clear but I'm not sure i'd even call it discharge. Nothing is visible but when i put a tissue to his nose, there's a tiny wet spot so that's about it. I read elsewhere about the Zithromax being successful so if the baytril doesn't seem to be working I'm going to ask the vet about that!

@bunbunsbinkies: He definitely hasn't gotten worse since the trip to the vet (thank god) but he wasn't sneezing for a few days and started that again. The vet I went to is approved by the HRS but I think I might go to another one to get another opinion :/ She told me I should bring him in four weeks after the baytril to get him checked out again.

@squidpop: the discharge is still clear but I'm not sure i'd even call it discharge. Nothing is visible but when i put a tissue to his nose, there's a tiny wet spot so that's about it. I read elsewhere about the Zithromax being successful so if the baytril doesn't seem to be working I'm going to ask the vet about that!

and this was after you went to another bedding? yeah that sorta happened here too... was looking better, went from cedar, wood pellets to carefresh... just stick with the carefresh from now on. change the hay, wipe down the cage and bowls (even with just a paper towel and water). I read about the Z-pack working too. Again, it could be stress and the hay, bedding, etc. Just keep on eye on him. I also went to a RHS vet, they all seem to give different answers. Price around though, if you have to get xrays.

Latest posts

Back