Paranoid about mosquitoes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
I have noticed a large number of mosquitoes outside lately, and I even found two in my room. I have been searching my room for them for the past hour but I just can't find them. I am just so worried that my little bun will get bitten and get Myxomatosis. I am definately not letting him go outside.I was just wondering if any of you had ideasfor bunny-safe mosquitoe repellents I could use in my room. Is is safe to use citronella candles in my room? Or spray a tiny amount of insect repellent without harming my baby?

Hi, Eve. I'm completely paranoid over the same thing, too. I've never really minded mosquitoes before because it can't be avoided havin one or twoevery now and then here in the Philippines. Ever since I had the bunnies though, it's like every little flying object scares the bejeezus out of me.

During nights, they're in the bedroom with me so I use that opportunity to spray the living room, kitchen, laundry area, and bathroom withminimalinsect repellant (one or two quick sprays per area). After 5-7 hours of sleep, I'm pretty sure (or at least, very hopeful) that the air should be safe for them again and the insects are gone. And then I do that to the bedroom while during the day, while we're outside.

Don't take this as advice though. What I'm doing is just what I thinkis the lesser of two evils (I hope I'm right). Hopefully, someone can give us suggestions. :)

We don't have much of a mosquito problem here, but I know how you feel. Over the summer I would find flies in the house every now and then. It freaked me out, and I would run around the house like a madman with a heavy book until I was able to kill it. I was so afraid of flystrike.

eve,

there does seem to be a fair bit of mozzies around,its a bad shame that we are not allowed the myxo vaccine over here,i think it is about time that the government lifted their regulations and let the pet bunny owners have the vaccine,but i dont think that would ever happen.but it is a big worry and a big risk that we as pet owners have to take.

i spray my whole house with ouderless fly spray while the bunnies are out the back,then i will let that settle and then call the bunnies inside for the night.

but i dont think anything you do will always be 100%,we can only take precautions.

ps.there was an online australian petition for the australian bunny owners to be allowed the myxovaccine for our bunnies,i have not been back to that site for a while.

cheryl...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only paranoid person about insects tailof2rabbits and bunny dude!

Thank you for the idea, I'll buy some odourless insect spray and spray my room while Rodney is outside. I also bought an ultra-violet mosquito lamp for my room, which I know is a bit obsessive.

barney_i_luv_u, are the myxo jabs expensive where you live?

And I just signed the petition you mentioned cheryl13 :)

Hope it helps :).

I turn off the lights and flick it on forafew minutesevery night, it seems to be doing a good job.

Latest posts

Back