Pam Nock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn, Congrats on your newbaby. So glad to hear that she got a good check up. How is Tuckerdoing with a new rabbit in the house? I just saw the picturesof Calbert! He looks just like my little manTrouble! I just found out that he was a HarlequinwhenI got my new book from the Tractor Supplystore. I also had been skipping this threadbecauseI thought that it was personal to Pam. Soglad I decided to check things out here. I would have missedyour good news and I would have missed the pictures of Missy andCalbert. Trouble's personality sounds very similar toCalbert's. He is such a sweet humble guy but he can get intothings when you are not looking. Those short little frontlegs and that little round face get me everytime.Oh, those rabbits get under your skin don'tthey. lol :D Talk to you soon. Beckie

Dearest Beckie,

Pamnock would be bummed if you felt that this was only her post to reply. It's not at all, Dear Heart.

Thanks so much for your sweetest reply. My mom says this place lookslike a pet store, but NO RABBITS FOR SALE will soon be adorning my door.

Every One is an absolute Love.

Missy, the rabbit in Buck Jones's avatar is Definitely the biggest Trouble Bubble!!! ATT-IT-TUDE and Size!

I wonder how many I'll give back to Buck when he comes for the pick-up. Think I'll say I moved, but don't tell him.

;)

-Carolyn

Way to go Pam! My brothers and I werehomeschooled all the way through. I did Christian Liberty in HS, andthey do the ACE curriculum. We homeschooled for much the same reasons.It's the best!

And yes, I gave bunny lectures too! lol

Rose

pamnock wrote:
Homeschooling is certainly not for everyone, and I have seen many failures and disasters.

I had reservations about even attempting it -- who would ever thinkyour children could learn more at home??? I couldgo on forever about the benefits that it has had for our family, notonly educationally, but emotionally and spiritually. It iscertainly an amazing lifestyle.

What is amazing is that there are no boundaries or limits. Mydaughter is taking everything from French to Bible History and isexcelling in math and grammar. Every homeschooling program isdifferent. I believe in a strong emphasis on math and grammarskills while building a spiritual foundation on studies of the Bible asit applies to character and ethics in todays world. My kidswill be able to graduate from homeschool with diplomas and will beprovided with college transcripts from Abeka Academy, where I purchasetheir books and video tapes.

Socialization? If you saw my 5 year old -- you'd neverquestion that homeschoolers lack social skills LOL He has noqualms about getting up in front of an entire group of people to talkabout his beloved rabbits. He's the etiquette expert and canflawlessly pledge his allegiance to our great flag.

Sports? Not a problem there either. My daughter hasparticipated in JV volley ball and basket ball and we also go up to therec center to "shoot some hoops".

The kids volunteer, earn money, are active in church and are well rounded citizens.

Our local public school has been impressed with my efforts and has been very supportive.

I apologize for drifting off topic -- I'm sure you can tell I ampassionate about education :) If anyone is interested inobtaining further information, they can contact me privately [email protected]

Pam

rabbitgirl wrote:
Way to go Pam! My brothers and I were homeschooled allthe way through. I did Christian Liberty in HS, and they do the ACEcurriculum. We homeschooled for much the same reasons. It's thebest!

And yes, I gave bunny lectures too! lol

Rose

pamnock wrote:
Homeschooling is certainly not for everyone, and I have seen many failures and disasters.

I had reservations about even attempting it -- who would ever thinkyour children could learn more at home??? I couldgo on forever about the benefits that it has had for our family, notonly educationally, but emotionally and spiritually. It iscertainly an amazing lifestyle.

What is amazing is that there are no boundaries or limits. Mydaughter is taking everything from French to Bible History and isexcelling in math and grammar. Every homeschooling program isdifferent. I believe in a strong emphasis on math and grammarskills while building a spiritual foundation on studies of the Bible asit applies to character and ethics in todays world. My kidswill be able to graduate from homeschool with diplomas and will beprovided with college transcripts from Abeka Academy, where I purchasetheir books and video tapes.

Socialization? If you saw my 5 year old -- you'd neverquestion that homeschoolers lack social skills LOL He has noqualms about getting up in front of an entire group of people to talkabout his beloved rabbits. He's the etiquette expert and canflawlessly pledge his allegiance to our great flag.

Sports? Not a problem there either. My daughter hasparticipated in JV volley ball and basket ball and we also go up to therec center to "shoot some hoops".

The kids volunteer, earn money, are active in church and are well rounded citizens.

Our local public school has been impressed with my efforts and has been very supportive.

I apologize for drifting off topic -- I'm sure you can tell I ampassionate about education :) If anyone is interested inobtaining further information, they can contact me privately [email protected]

Pam
I truly believe that homeschooling is the way to go.If my husband and I had any children it's the way that I would approachtheir education.

OH MY,I didn't realize that you hadthem all !!!! :shock: No wonder your mom's thinking petstore! lol Those Bunnytudes can be a problem attimes! Don't get them all mad or scared!! Therewould be a whole lot of thumping going on! I have oftenthought thatI want more rabbits, but my problem is what to dowith them whileI go out of town. The 2thatI have go to the vet andI almost need a truckto haul the cages food and etc. Must be what it is like whenyou take human children to grandmas or thebabysitter! Beckie

Carolyn wrote:
GreetingsPam!

I'm attaching 6 pictures: 3 of Calbert, Buck Jones'sdaughter's rescued rabbit; and Missy: Buck Jones's inhouserabbit. We were curious as to what you guess would be as totheir breeds. Thanks Pam!! Hope it's not too muchof a bother, but I know Buck would really be interested. Thefirst three are Calbert.

-Carolyn
attachment.php
How in the world did I miss this post?!!! I've been waiting for pictures of Calbert!

What an ABSOLUTE SWEETIE!!!

Carolyn, I may have to take this one away from you! ;)

I need to go back through this entire thread to read and see what I've been missing! :?

Wow! I've been missing alot.I thought this post was just for Pam. I accidently clicked on it and WOWW.

Pam I think you are an absolutely amazing person. I know I alwaysreead your replies because I know I will learn something.

Carolyn, you are so kind hearted. I can't think of a better home forCalbert. If it doesn't work out you can always send him my way lol.

Buck, you are such a wonderful person. I have nothing but admiration for you.

To everyone else here, you all are like family. Love reading everyone's posts.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
Wow! I've been missing alot.I thought this post was justfor Pam. I accidently clicked on it and WOWW.

Pam I think you are an absolutely amazing person. I know I alwaysreead your replies because I know I will learn something.

Thank you for the kind words :) This thread turnedinto more of a "general topic" discussion and is for everyone.

Pam

Isn't Carolyn a sweetheart? When weasked her to bunny sit for the 20 days we are in California, she notonly said, yes, but she kindly volunteered to care for them duringthe 10 days prior to our departure, so we would not have tomake the 190 mile round trip to Connecticutonce again beforeleaving.

So, she went from one bun to four buns in about as manyminutes! Turns out little Fauna needed veterinary carealready, which has already caused us some minor embarassment, but atleast we know the buns are all getting the best possible care pet ownercould wish for while under Carolyn's watch.

If "the" Tucker permits, Calbert, the cool California bunny(found in aplastic crate on Hollywood Bvld) and/or Fauna(the neglected, nowrehabbing), little Holland Lop doe, may remain at the scenichome of our illustrious moderator. Fauna does seem to besmitten with Tucker Bucker'smasculine appearance and his NewEngland staid behavior...in front of visiting does, that is.

The Mini Lop, Missy, whom we've spent tons of money on for gastricsurgery, definitely has a round trip ticket home, heretoNJ. She brings a new meaning to the concept of a, "busybunny,"which one might infer from the tone of some of thecomments posted by Carolyn.

Would that we all had bunny friends, like Carolyn, near by so we couldall mutally care for our buns whenever vacation times cameup. Maybe, as the membership grows within the forum, a bunnysitting registry could be set up for those willing to bunny sit forothers in the expectation of reciprocal care when the situationpresents itself? I, for one, would be the first to volunteerfor such a service here in the NJ/NY metropolitan area. I dobelieve we all get a "feel" for the care fellow posters give their bunsfrom comments made on the forum, and I suspect most people here wouldhave my confidence that my buns would be safe under their care.

Buck

I've never known anyone who would give so much of themself for others -- Carolyn sets an example for others to strive for :)

Pam

Buck, I couldn't agree more. I too would bemore than happy to watch a bunny or two or three lol. The more themerrier. All kidding aside I think that is an awesome idea. I for onewill be more than willing to bunny sit.

Tina

Dear Judge,

Cali's ticking is so much darker than the Sandies I saw at the last show.

When I blow on Cali's fur it looks, to me, like it goes from blue, to white, to fawn to black.

What distinguishes a Sandy from a Fawn? Does ticking count?

-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn ;)

Fawn is actually the "non-extension" version of Sandy. TheSandy is dominant full extension gene "E", where the Fawn isnon-extension recessive"ee". The non-extension genelimits the extension of color on the coat, reducing the Sandy to a muchlighter fawn.

The base of the Sandy's coat (near the skin) is slate blue, where thefawn is white/cream near the skin. The ticking on the topcoat of the Sandy should not be so dark as to completely cover thereddish intermediate band. Ticking on the Fawns is notdesired.

There is a very interesting article in the most recent issue of ARBA'sDomestic Rabbits on how to successfully cross Fawns to SandyFlemishto improve the size and color of the Sandies.

Pam

Thanks for the lesson, Pam! :hug:

When I was talking to one of the Flemish breeders about Cali's ticking,he got so excited when he heard of Cali's color. He and 2 other Flemishbreeders were so bummed when I had told them she was spayed. They gaveme the headshake. :no:

No doubt, it doesn't take over. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until Ihad posted pictures of her on the board that others started commentinghow dark she had gotten that I realized that the ticking was reallysetting in.

When I had seen pictures of her when she was just a babe and before Ihad adopted her, I thought she was a Fawn. She has more Fawn in herbackground than she does Sandy. The ticking on the rabbits that were atthe show was so subtle and some where just shy of her age. Just foundit surprising that my girl's coat was quite different from theirs.Seeing their excitement made me question what the Standard is.

Thanks again for the explanation. It's very interesting.

:ponder:

-Carolyn

Back