Pairing Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
We are getting a bunny to pair with Charlie because I really enjoyed having a pair before (Oh, how I miss their silly noses :() Anyhow, would I want to make SURE I get a female or can I get a male because both Charlie and the future bunny are going to be neutered :ponder:? Thanks for your input!

Usually same sex bonds are really hard. I would go with a female to bond him to.
If you have a shelter thats near you, call them and ask them if they do 'bunny speed-dates'. You'll have to wait until after he is fixed and a month after that(to make sure he isn't fertile anymore) and then take him to the shelter/rescue to let him meet some girls(who will probably already be spayed), to see who he likes the best and let him pick his own mate. A lot of people go that route.
If you want to go to a REPUTABLE breeder or whatever, thats up to you. A lot of breeders don't let you bring your bun to meet their buns because of medical hazards and such. But you could probably trust that you're getting a female. It just depends on your personal preference on where you want to get your bun a bun. lol

A female will give you the best chance of a bond. It really does come down to the individual rabbit though. 2 males can get along, but it is harder and less likely to succeed.

Duly noted! I will make sure it's a girl. I think whether Charlie turns out to be a girl or a boy (90% confident he is a boy) a girl will be easiest to bond. I hear a lot more about girl girl pairs than boy boy pairs so I think either way it would b best to find a girl. I am waiting on a rescue to contact me right now. They have a few Hollands which I would like, but there isn't much close by me and I don't have the ability to drive many hours to go get a bun. I guess I should be happy there aren't many many homeless rabbits around me. Our shelter generally has quite a few but right now they only have two but have told me upfront they do not think these would be a good match for myself or my bunny. They didn't elaborate, but I know one was wildly energetic which would NOT be a good match for us.

With Charlie being a little nervous too, you may want to get a bun that is well socialized with people and not nervous at all around you. It would be really hard to have two buns scared of people. Plus having a rabbit that likes people, will help teach Charlie that people are ok,

I highly suggest bunny dates since it will save your butt from the stress lol. My two are stressing me out so much at the moment and I know they've still got quite a bit of time until they bond!

I should definitely be clear that I want a second rabbit to have a second rabbit for myself and not Charlie bunny. I do not only want it if it bonds with the other, so they do not HAVE to bond. I agree play dates or bunny speed dating sounds like a good idea! Thanks :D

even though the other rabbit is as much for you as for Charlie, it's SO much less work to be able to keep them together and they get twice as much time with you that way, so it's far better to find someone for him to bond with.

if charlie turns out to be a girl, I would go for a boy... yes, some of us here have F/F bonded pairs... but we've all got stories of those bonds very suddenly and inexplicably being broken or damaged. it's possible to mend such a bond (a couple hours in neutral territory has always worked for me), but it's frustrating, it's a hassle, and it's scary to see two girls who are normally very lovey-dovey suddenly attacking each other or running in fear from their bond-mate.

Latest posts

Back