Oxbow at Petsmart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Spring wrote:
Does anyone know if they are selling it at Canadian Petsmarts too?
I can check it out, there is a Petsmart close to my place,but I don't usuallygetanysupplies there.
Went there this morning. Nothing but junk food. The only Timothy based pellets was the Kaytee Timothy Complete. The 5 lb. bag costs $10.99

The other brand pellets were alfalfa based pellets. Kaytee, Nutiphase, and Living Worlds seem to have a monopoly at Petsmart.

Petsmart is carrying the Oxbow hay but not pellets. I told the lady at the counter I would be very interested in buying pellets if they ordered them. She said she would tell the manager but she will probably forget. hehe.:biggrin2:

Oh, by the way, I'm back! I was MIA for a little while with internet difficulties. :p

t.

The Oxbow pellets are $12.99 for a 5lb bag at our Petsmart and only $8.19 for the same bag at my vet's office. So I would check with your vet to see which place is the better deal.

On another note, I just wish that someone would start selling papaya tabs locally, now that is something that I would get excited about!

No Oxbow hay at our Petsmart either. There were otherbrands ofhays there, but very expensive. A small bag of Kaytee Timothy hay cost $8.99 :shock:
Can you believe a bag of Feline Wood Pellets cost $18.00:( No wonder I don't shop at Petsmart. ;)

RexyRex, many of us use the Swiss Super Papaya Enzyme Tablets for our bunnies. You can find them at a pharmacy like Walmart. :)

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread again!!!

I was out and about last night and I had a terrible headache! we were next to a Petsmart when I realized I needed to drive about 15 minutes from there and another 15 to 20 minutes back home just to go get the bunny hay...... but I remembered this thread!

I went into Petsmart and they had OXBOW!!! Some people must have thought I was crazy! cause this man came up and checked what it was that I was looking at and so excited about LOL! I had said to Lexi "YES! They have it! this is just awesome! we don't have to drive so far now to get it!"......

He looked at a bag of Orchard grass and sort of shrugged - they were getting hamsters..... lol.

RO saved me all that time, gas, and the pain of it all with my headache! PLUS it was about $3 cheaper than I was paying!!! THANK YOU!

I finally got a chance to go by petsmart today as we needed yesterdays news. I got the prices down and compared them to the best places I found online, so I figured I'd share with everyone here.

If you were already at Petsmart buying things, and were low on hay it wouldnt be bad to buy from there, or if you only buy small bags anyways online, but I'm sure most of us buy bigger shipments. Here is how the prices breakdown:

My Petsmart had Oxbow Timothy Hay 40oz bag for $9.99 (25cents per oz)

If buying from Dr. Foster's & Smith, which has shipping at $9.99 by price, not weight which is great for heavy food & hay:
9lbs is $20.99, plus $9.99 shipping, equals $30.98 total (21.5cents per oz)
25lbs is $40.99, plus $9.99 shipping, equals 50.98 total (12.7cents per oz)

If you buy directly from Oxbow it breaks down:
40 oz is $8.99, plus 11.54 shipping, equals $20.53 total (51cents per oz)
9lbs is $16.50, plus $13.19 shipping, equals $29.69 total (20.6cents per oz)
25lbs is $21.75, plus $20.54 shipping, equals $42.49 total (10.5 cents per oz)

So if you are buying 25lbs hay only, I would say buy from Oxbow, but if you are buying other things at the same time, probably by from Dr Foster & Smiths, since they will also ship the pellets without adding on to the shipping as long as you stay under the $ amount they specify (I think its $60).

You can see the hay breakdowns saved here, I also have more information on pellets from different places. My petsmart didnt have pellets so I couldnt compare that.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pDpdwkUAcYA9YOB7z8RVMGA

Thanks for all the research Tara! Great information to have. With 4 rabbits, I have to buy in bulk, but I think it's good to know we can get Oxbow at Petsmart if we run out between shipments.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Thanks for all the research Tara! Great information to have. With 4 rabbits, I have to buy in bulk, but I think it's good to know we can get Oxbow at Petsmart if we run out between shipments.

This was my exact thinking! Though, the little mom & pop pet store in town has 5lbs for $10 instead of 5lbs for $12 at PetSmart, so we will probably go there.

It's about time to order another 50lbs offline. Behh...expensive! Shipping is more than the bag itself!

undergunfire wrote:
It's about time to order another 50lbs offline. Behh...expensive! Shipping is more than the bag itself!

Eeesh....tell me about it. This weekend I bought:

50 lbs. Bunny Bale for the shelter
50 lbs. pellets from feed store for shelter
25 lbs. Bunny Bale for me
25 lbs. APD pellets
1 lb. jar Apple-Banana Critical Care
4 60 liter bags Care Fresh

Total: $260

I didn't spend a penny on myself.

slavetoabunny wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

25 lbs. APD pellets

Umm I think I need all that.Mind you with this bunch it will last 2months.

JadeIcing wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

25 lbs. APD pellets

Umm I think I need all that.Mind you with this bunch it will last 2months.

Add to that: 100 1cc oral med syringes $26

I'm hoping the the 25 lbs. of pellets and 25 lbs. of hay will last me two months with my four munchers. My newest foster eats enormous amounts of hay. I know the Carefresh will last that long - I go through one every two weeks.

slavetoabunny wrote:
amonth if that.
Uh 2weeks?
25 lbs. APD pellets
Who knows.
Umm a month?

I must have really lucked out with where I buy my pellets and food for the ferrets. It's a little almost botique that sells only pet food and none of the crappy stuff either. The lady is so nice; if she doesn't have it she will special order it through one of her reps. She's a few cents cheaper than Petsmart or Petco are for their Oxbow Basic T. Not much but it helps. Also for the food that I buy for the ferts she has buy x amount and get a free bag.

Even if she raised her prices I would go there since she is very nice and helpfull.

slavetoabunny wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

25 lbs. APD pellets

Wow! Even if I wanted to buy from Oxbow I wouldn't be able too!! :( That's crazy expensive! I hope my feed stores start selling Oxbow soon, that would be cool, but I highly doubt it. The closest PetSmart to me is like 30 minutes away and my mom wouldn't want to drive that far just to get it, when we can go 10 minutes away and get what we use now.

And Oxbow sounds soo good. :?

Emily

Patti....have you tried a wood pellet bedding? I use it, as do many others, and the odor control+cost is so awesome. I get 40lbs for just $4 from Lowe's because I use wood stove pellets...just be sure they aren't treated.

I used Carefresh before, but it is so expensive and it gets super stinky....especially with the ratties.

I was using Carefresh for a while but it got way too expensive! I looked for wood stove pellets but they don't sell them in my area. The guy at Lowe's said that they only sell those in their cold climate stores. Then I found Equine Pine at Tractor Supply. 40lb bag for $6.00 and that bag lasts me about a month give or take with 3 rabbits.

undergunfire wrote:
Patti....have you tried a wood pellet bedding? I use it, as do many others, and the odor control+cost is so awesome. I get 40lbs for just $4 from Lowe's because I use wood stove pellets...just be sure they aren't treated.

I used Carefresh before, but it is so expensive and it gets super stinky....especially with the ratties.
I have tried pelleted bedding before, but Sparky likes to play "see how far I can kick this". That girl can kick pelleted litter all the way to the other side of the room. I settled on the Carefresh, because being soft and light it doesn't fly like the pelleted litter. I'd love to be able to use a cheaper litter!!

The bunnies are in LOVE with the Oxbow Botanical Hay. I MEAN LOOOOOOVE! I stil mix it in with the Kaytee Orchard Hay and they'll always eat the botanical hay first. It's funny to see them root around in it. I wish Petsmart would start carrying the Oxbow pellets. :(

t.

Back