Outdoor Enclosure Ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKM

Reaction score
I have recently been inspired by some European rabbit owners to build an outdoor enclosure for my buns to provide them with fresh air and another realm to call their own. They are house rabbits and free-range a room 24/7, but it's always nice to give them a change of scenery. Obviously, this would not be a permanent home- just an opportunity to be outside on cool days. I live in Southern California, so it's relatively dry with a mild climate. The bunnies wouldn't be outside unless a) I can supervise them b) it's not raining and c) it's doesn't exceed 75 F. Anyway, I was wondering what the best way to go about this is? Our grass is very sparse, so I was considering making a wooden frame and using chicken/rabbit wire (which is better?) for the sides, top, and base, essentially creating a a huge cube aside from the door, and then covering the base with a layer of natural substrate (what kind should I use?) and building a couple large wooden structures to provide shade and something for them to hop up onto. Does this idea sound okay? Does anyone have any suggestions for constructing it/what to put in it? I'm not sure on the size yet, but I'm thinking somewhere in the ballpark of 8'x6'. Thoughts?

101rabbits, a person on YouTube made a good outdoor enclosure. It looks tough and secure and if I had the time to make it, I would :)

Here is the link to the video:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9LRldUp4Y[/ame]

I've also attached a link to a useful website with ideas and tips :)

The link is below:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/index.asp

Can't wait to see the finished product! Good luck :D

I've never built my own outdoor hutch but I have been given a few, I'll post some photos tomorrow when it's not raining. But rabbit wire is better, as it's stronger than chicken wire, so if there is a predator lurking they won't be able to get in. I think overall it sounds good, if I was going to build it I'd do it similar to the photo I've attached, the walls are held together with clips, so you can use the walls for other things and also easy storage (but of course put a lid on it).

Hope this helps!

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions- I really love the idea of using sod so that they can have grass without me needing to water the entire yard. I'd prefer that the enclosure would be tall enough for me to stand in it, so it's not exactly a run. I was actually pretty inspired by some outdoor dog kennels, cat enclosures, and aviaries. I also like the idea of using hinges so I can expand it in the future. Ideally, this enclosure will last a long time and possibly be used for other rabbits/animals in the future.:)

Last edited:
With the 101rabbits idea, you could possibly make the side panels taller to allow you to walk in and out easily :) I don't know how much extra cost that would be though :(

A bird aviary sounds good :) I know of a few people who use them as outdoor play areas.

Have you thought about converting a shed? Then it would have the height for you to walk in and also be big enough. For example you could use a glass house (i'll attach a photo of the one I'm thinking about) and replace the glass with rabbit wire? It would mean the roof would protect the rabbit from the rain, but the side panels which would be replaced with rabbit wire to allow ventilation.

Small-Glass-House.jpg

Have you thought about converting a shed?

I have considered a shed or greehouse hack, but I personally don't really like the look of a peaked roof, especially when said roof is meshed. The bunnies won't be outside in the rain, and I want the grass/plants in the enclosure to be watered. Additionally, I can't seem to find a frame that fits the dimensions I'm looking for and doesn't cost at least triple something I could just as easily build myself.:)

A person on YouTube called 101 rabbits makes excellent things I would put the video in a link but my phone is on 4%. Good luck can't wait to see the final product :) i also have a walk in hutch where my buns get a run around area on the grass and a bedding area. I have 5 of these and I love them although they are $535 each :/

A person on YouTube called 101 rabbits makes excellent things I would put the video in a link but my phone is on 4%.

The video of her run was already posted on this thread.:)

Does anyone have any ideas for a non-absorbent, natural substrate? Perhaps some type of bark? I considered hemp, but I'm afraid it's too absorbent.

Oh okay :), I talk to her a lot and know how easy it is to make her thing that is why I posted it... Sorry

Latest posts

Back