Our rescue weekend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunty

Reaction score
Sometimes this rescue work really upsets me. I crywhen the rabbits find homes which I should think they are going to behappy and loved but I think about the little quirks each one has and ifthey will be OK. We adopted out three and the homes seem wonderful. Ofcourse we follow up and have rabbit socials etc so they come see us andif it does not work out they come back to us. There are always more inthe wings. There is a kill shelter not far from us with 5 rabbits. Wecan now go get four of them since some room opened up in the fosterhomes. I had a person approach me from that shelter and I told them weare going to try to make room. There is a little 3-4 month oldNetherland over there and I want to get my hands on her so bad but Iwould love to kill the owners first. She can not leave pending a courtcase. That dear baby Netherland was thrown against a concrete wall, Shehas survived her injuries but can not leave pending the trial. Virginianow has animal cruelty as a felony. I just feel so sorry for thatlittle one and she is a kisser and lover even with the trama in hershort life. I guess I just needed to vent a while but I really hatepeople some times.

I admire you for doing the rescue work, Bunty. I'm sure it repeatedly rips your heart apart.

-Carolyn

A baby bird fell from it's nest, through a hole in my house and iscaught in my drop-ceiling. I called the rehabber, but they're not thereas it's Sunday morning and I don't know when they'll get the message.I've tried getting it, but I'm more nervous than it. Have a friendcoming over to help. The little one's been up there since last night. Ididn't realize that it was a baby bird and hoped it would find it's ownway out and then I can have the hole patched. It can't fly and it'sgoing to die if it's not helped. Wish me luck! I have one of Tucker'stravel cages that I'll put it in until the rehabber can take it.

This rescue stuff is stressful. I'm a nervous wreck.

-Carolyn

Hopefully they check messages on Sunday. Keep itas warm as you can until they get there. I dont know what they eat butI know warmth will help with shock and keeping its systems working

I'll just buy it worms. I have a lake right here and just down the roadI can purchase worms. I'll put a small dish of water in there, and somehay to nest in. As long as I can get it out okay, then I can keep itfor a day until the Audobon Center opens tomorrow and then they'll takeit.

Thanks for the reply.

This rescue business is for the birds!!

-Carolyn

I am thinking about starting a rabbit reasue groupin a couple of years. I am sure that it is very frustrating andsad. I am also sure that it is sometimes very rewarding.

Sorry I'm just seeing this thread! :(

Bunty, you really are the most wonderful person. Ittakes a special kind of individual to do rescue work and both you andyour husband fit the bill to a "T".

Many blessings on you both.

Carolyn, you always exhibit such compassion. Howsweet of you to be concerned about the little bird and make effortstowards ensuring his safety and regaining his freedom.

I'm hoping that everything works out well.

Happy Ending, BunnyMommy! :dude:

Got baby bird out safely, fed it a nice big fat juicy worm, gave itwater and a tiny bit of very diluted moist catfood. After hours ofhaving it, it too on a liking to the little bird on the cover of thechildren's book, "Are You My Mommy?" When the little one would see me,it'd stand up. When it was hungry, it'd open up it's beak at me andscream for food.

Took s/he to the Audobon Center at around 3:30 p.m. when they calledand they said they were there. S/he is on the verge of flying andwouldn't stay in its nest, even if I had been able to get it backthere.

They'll feed it baby bird formula for a week and then wean it off toberries and such to get it on its natural diet. Then they'll put intothe 'flying cage', so it can learn with other birds how to fly, andeventually in about 2 weeks be released into the wild.

My friend who helped me catch the little one said we should name itRecess because it was in a recessed ceiling. So that's what we calledhim for the day.

He was my baby and he'll be fine.

For the Record: Tucker could've cared less about me baby-talking tothis little bird or giving it extra attention. He was quite willing toshare me which I thought was very noble of him.

:dude:

-Carolyn

Oh, what a sweet, sweet story ... Reader's Digest quality!!! :D

I'm so glad that everything turned out well for the little fellow.

And as usual, Tucker's nobility and generosity know no bounds! ;)

"Where is Tucker when I need him?" said BunnyMommy.

I'm Right Here, BunnyMommy!

Sher'Man' and Carolyn have been waiting for this. Don't let 'em bully you.

Thanks for noting My Beautiful Self. There are times when I'd like to switch places with Sherman.

Love,
Tucker

Oh Brrrrrother! :?

Get over yourselves!

-Carolyn

Yesterday we had our little educational thing atPetsmart. This man came up and said he adopted the best bunny in theworld and went on and on about how wonderful this bun was and smart andyou could tell this is one loved bunny. He said he adopted it from alady in Hampton and I said was her name ____ He said how did I know. Iasked him the buns name and he said Daisy who was one of ourunadoptables because she has chronic eye problems but he spoke to thevet prior to adopting and was fine with her and just so happy as is hiswhole family. I also had a marine stop by with his wife and said he hadrabbits in 4H and talked about his and started to pet Gene. Gene gavehim a rabbit kiss and he told his wife he missed little bunny kisses soput a dollar in the jar. WE have a donation jar on the table. Gene gavehim another and we got another dollar. UNfortuneately Gene stopped.This man also told us that he is a stickler on his men when over seas.If they get a pet the must prove if they are shipping it home or iffound a proper place for it before they return to the states. He saidtheir is a problem in that area and he worked on it and has made animpact. This is what makes rabbit rescue worth the heartaches.

So glad, Bunty, that you had the opportunity to actually meet some work-affirming individuals.

It's people like these who restore your faith in human nature.

UPDATE I know I postedsomewhere about the little Netherland that was trown up against thewall and those poor buns in the kill shelter. The rescue stepped in andwe took one little rex girl and will get the little Netherland as soonas possible. They think the lop has a home but we will take if it doesnot work out OK. They have a 3 month old male and female together whichwe have permission to get spayed and neutered and they will hold themuntil a foster home opens up and not destroy them. I was just glad tohear the Netherland is OK and kissing everyone who talks to him

Thank God they were able to help the littleones. You've all done a great job.

Go Bless each of you.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back