One leaking eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriciakozak

Reaction score
I have a l0 year old Netherland Dwarfrabbit who for the past two years has had a thick white secretion comefrom only one eye. It is so thick that it coats hisfur under his eye and gets his hair matted under hiseye. I wipe the secretion off when I seeit. He seems to get it whenever he eatshis rabbit food. His eyelid is red, and his eyeseems somewhat smaller than the other good eye.When this started I took him to a vet, and she said that his tearductwas either blocked or he had a small respiratoryproblem. The cream the she said to use(Vetropolycin oint. 3.5g.) does notwork. He does seem to make asort of rasping breathing sound when he isrelaxing. (I hear this by lying down beside him,and having my ear to his ears). I don't knowwhether this is from old age, or from a respiratory problem that hasstarted with old age. The eye does notseem to bother him, and he seems to like it when I clean it with warmwater. Whatmore can I do? Please help. Helooks so poorly with his matted fur under his eye.

Welcome to the forum! Wowgood job for raising a bunny that old. I wish I could help, but otherpeople might know what you cand do :). Can you post pictures of thebunny?

Hi,

Welcome!

I havea 12-13 yr. old Netherland dwarf who is prone to thesame problem. She usually gets it in winter--I think her immune systemis low and it might possibly be a mild Pasteurella infection. Cleaningit up is probably all you can do!

Mine is blind...that might have something to do with it. I think shemight poke herself in the eye stumbling around the cage. I also willsometimes hear breathing problems, especially in the cold--she tends towhimper....then she gets to come inside...

Good luck!

Rose

P.S. When my young buns get thatdischarge, it usually seemsto come and go quickly and a slight eye injury seemsmostlikely.

You may want to ask your vet about oral antibiotics if the tearduct isn't blocked or try a different eye ointment.

You can apply a little triple antibiotic ointment under the eye toloosen and crusting and to help protect the skin becauseabacterial infection can develop on the skin from the wetdischarge.

Pam

Latest posts

Back