One Hot Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job! Air flow really is the key. :)

Brandy and I have been working on a 'blurb' for a 'cheat sheet/encyclopedia project, here's the draft:

Heat strokes are very dangerous for rabbits, they can be caused when they're out in the sun for too long or otherwise exposed to high temperatures and humidity with little air flow. Overheated bunnies will often be quiet, panting, stretched out, have half closed eyes, warm ears, dark gums and wet muzzles. Rabbits dispel heat through their ears and breath, so air movement is essential.

It sounds to me like she wasn't panting, but just breathing harder. Which sounds the same, but it's not necessarily.

With heat stress, the rabbit will often refuse food and sometimes water and will actually pant, with the head tilted back and nose in the air.

In warmer weather though (and other more stressful situations), I'll notice some rabbits will breathe faster, so their body will shake almost. This is completely normal and not something to rush to a vet about. But of course, it's best to try to relieve whatever form of stress is present. In this case, I'm sure cooling the body temp was a relief!

After reading your last statement about breathing faster so it looks like they are shaking is exactly how to describe her.
She did it later today after we took her to a friend's house. My friend's house was hot and she happen to be running out of her cage so she got a little 'warmed-up' i suppose. I just know now, whenever she does it, to have her ears dipped in cool water.

Latest posts

Back