Olive Oil

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmist

Reaction score
Just read that you can use olive oil on cats tobreak down hairballs... could this be safely used on rabbits?If so, how much?

Susan

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought.I give my rats olive oil for their skin. I usually soak apiece of dry bread in it and give them that. They loveit! My hairless boys get it a couple of times a week, but myfurry guy only gets it once a week.

Jen

I read somewhere that using oil will only makethe oil stick to the hairball and actually make it harder for somethingto breakthe hairball down. The cause of a hairballin rabbits is GI statis. I give my rabbit pineapple (real,not in a can) and lots of hay. Don't seem to have anyproblems **knocking on wood**.

Pam Nock mentions that Nutri-Cal works. I would try that.

It's dangerous to syringe oils to rabbits because they may aspirate the oil into their lungs.

Although Nutri Cal doesn't break up a blockage, it can be helpful in supportive care of rabbits with GI stasis.

There isn't any product proven to break up the mucus binding theblockage together, and no products can break up hair in theblockage. The best therapy is to keep the rabbit hydrated andadminister pain meds. Nutri Cal helps to keep the rabbit'sstrength up while they are off feed.

Generally, the GI tract slows down for some reason (often viral),then a blockage occurs. Since there is no absolute wayto prevent viral infections, blockages cannotbe prevented.

Keeping your rabbit healthy, at the proper weightand keepingstress factors low as well as offering a highfiber diet isthe best way to minimize chances of GI stasis.

Pam

Back