Older rescue rabbit - concerned about her health.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiledreamlove

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Two-three years back we took on two Netherland x Rex rescue bunnies, albeit we didn't know a great deal, just fed them a decent diet and let them live happily together outside. They were impossible to handle, very frightened of humans, as they came from a home with a child who originally got them as pets but soon realised that bunnies aren't all snuggly creatures the movies always depict them as. They were thus tortured by this little girl from what we've gathered and then completely neglected. It kind of makes sense their trust issues were quite low!

To improve my knowledge I did a fair amount of study early last year on rabbits, not only for the rescue buns, but because I took on a baby Cashmere lop x who was the product of a huge earthquake here in Christchurch, NZ. This greatly changed their habits and we slowly started to get somewhere with the rescues Cookies and Cream. Last winter was really bad and we thought they were going to die, so we brought them inside for the colder part of the season, and they both really plumped up, started to become friendly and got more exercise. They happily went back outside in spring, but sadly Cream passed on in January this year.

Here's Cookies (as of yesterday):
2012-03-06123518.jpg

2012-03-06123541.jpg

What I know about Cookies, is that she's an older bunny now, and has to be at least five-six years old. She's still eating well, we feed her high quality rabbit pellets (not supermarket bought), meadow hay, fresh fruit and vegetables (following a chart from this website on nutrition) and I move her about on the grass every day, so she always has something to eat.

However, her weight has dropped like Cream's did, and whilst she's happy, alert and got all her bodily functions, you can literally feel all her bones in her body. I consulted a vet about it for advice, and they believe her time on this earth is almost up, and unless she's suffering to continue giving her the best in her remaining days.

Yesterday I bought her indoors to clip her feet, and was happy to see she's put a little weight back on, she's still skin and bones and I had a wee cry as I was helpless as to what else to do for her. I can't bring her inside as my guinea pig is using the house we put them in last year. I also have a cat who broke her tail recently and is living in my room, so she's taking up a lot of space herself in a makeshift house for her. She's also the reason I can't afford to take Cookies in to a vet as her operation alone cost a whopping $400 for her tail to be removed and I'm only a student.

My main question really is, can I be doing anything else for her on my limitations? She doesn't appear to be in pain or suffering, but what kind of foods would help her with weight gain, or am I simply too late and need to just be there and helping her along until she crosses the rainbow bridge? We're hoping by winter to have my guinea pig Topaz in her own house so I can give the house back to Cookies if she's still with us then. But until it's built, that's not feasible.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

Elder buns sometimes have trouble keeping weight on.

There are a few things you can try.
Are the pellets alfalfa based? That's usually the first thing that can be done....switch them over to alfalfa pellets.
Add some alfalfa hay to her diet.

Mine are ALL elderbuns ranging in age from 7 to 10+ years.
They get certain healthy treats to help keep their weight......black oil sunflower seeds, old fashioned rolled oats (Quaker Oatmeal), and all natural papaya.

Wheatgrass or barleygrass have lots of protein, so I'd add them if possible & reduce the amount of greens so she'll have room for the seeds etc.

Thanks for the quick replies. I live in New Zealand, so please excuse my ignorance, but do we even have alfalfa available to us here? I've never for one, heard of alfalfa hay here in NZ (I own a horse and usually buy meadow or lucerne hay only), so is this something I could obtain?
Will definitely look into the seeds for her! And the rolled oats also, I think we have some in the cupboard. How much do you suggest to feed?

Thanks again, I just want to give Cookies the best whilst I can... because I've raised Kuromi so well so far, it feels unfair that Cookies never got the nice upbringing she deserved :(

Ah thank you, I thought it would be something like that... will look into getting some lucerne as I only have meadow at present. And thanks for the size portions also :)

LakeCondo wrote:
Any new food, I'd try just a little at first.

I agree. Start with just a little.....and only add one at a time.

The sunflower seeds contain oil, oil is 100% fat which contains twice the calories as does carbohydrates or protein, so it takes less to produce weight gain than say oats, corn etc.
I only sprinkle a few on their pellets at night.
They have definitely improved the condition of all their coats, but you have to be careful not to end up with chubby bunnies.

For breakfast I sprinkle some oats on their pellets.
Again, you have to be careful not to overdo and end up with an overweight bun.

The papaya I buy is all natural....no sugar, juice, or additives.
All the buns get three small pieces per day....1/4" cubes.....(breakfast, dinner, bedtime)

Cookies looks good--she doesn't look too skinny to me. I'd do what the others have recommended, since you can feel all her bones, but it is normal to be able to feel some of their bones. Netherland dwarves have a tendency to be a bit chubby and she looks normal to me.

Really? The photos dont show it but her spine is protruding. She's got more weight on her now but yes I am a little concerned.

And thanks heaps for the ratios!! Will get some supplies!!

Thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Back