Old Bunny Attacks Me After Spending Time With New Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaelyx

Reaction score
Before today, I had two rabbits: a 9-year old female named Shadow and a 2-year old male named Graham. I can't say they are the best of friends, but they get along just fine.

Today, I took home a rabbit from the local shelter because it was about to be put down. I just couldn't help myself...

The problem is, Graham is not too happy with that decision. Right now, the new rabbit is in a separate room. After spending some time with the new rabbit, Graham becomes extremely aggressive. He growls, shows his teeth at me, and even tries to bite me. I'm guessing he smells the scent of the other rabbit on me.

He even stands guard right outside the room where the new rabbit is currently staying. He stands as if he's ready to lunge at the new rabbit if the door is opened.

I've seen him angry and upset before, but he was never this mean. He has always been one of the sweetest things on the face of the earth. It's almost like he's a completely different rabbit with this new rabbit around.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Ideally, I would like all three of my rabbits to eventually like each other. I don't care how long it takes.

Thanks in advance.

Well, first I'd make sure to change clothes and wash your hands/arms really well after spending time with the new bun. You should probably be doing that anyway, just in case the shelter rabbit might be carrying something.

Maybe put a big gate across the doorway, so he can see in but can't actually hurt the new bun?

Other than that, I have no ideas. Hopefully some of the experts will jump in with some suggestions. Congrats on the new addition! :)

I would go very slowly. I wouldn't move anybody for awhile. After a week of washing up & always seeing old before new, I'd move old somewhere neutral & let him smell something of new's. Try that until old settles down.

Latest posts

Back