Old boy....need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellnjimi13

Reaction score
I have a 12 ur old rabbit. I've had him for just over 12 years. I know it's ultimately my decision but I need some advice. He is developing what seems to be tumors one on his chest one under his armpit....he has skin flaps....he seems
To be eating but all he does is mainly sit in the corner of his cage and lay down....it takes me a while to get him out of his cage now...he is showing signs of blindness. His nails are really long and that's bc in his old age he does not do well in a carrier or in the car...he will flip out and make loud screaming noises, the vet is about 1/2 hr away....he doesn't seem to be in pain...part of me wants to put him down but a bigger part feels so bad doing it bc he isn't showing any pain signs....any advice????

I am so sorry you are in this position, It is never an easy thing.

Only you truly know your bun. For me I have always made the difficult decision when the animal seems to be suffering greatly and there are no more options to help. You are the best to judge when that time comes. Buns are very good at hiding illness though so your bun could be worse than he seems.

You can trim your buns nails but must be careful not to cut the quick. As far as the carrier, has any other animal been in it before. I have heard of someones bun screaming when placed in a carrier that a ferret had been in before. They had washed it but apparently the bun could still smell it.

Do take comfort no matter what you decide that he has had a long life for a bun. You must have taken good care of him.

If I'd of had a bun that long (and I'm getting close), there's no way I could let them go without a fight. But then again, it may be that he's had a good loooooong life of twelve years and is tired out. I can't figure out why you need a vet to keep his nails short but his lying in the cage corner makes me feel unnerved, especially if he's normally an out bun. Keep in mind that, as prey animals, rabbits hide ache and pain signals when possible for as long as possible.

Blindness will change his behavior such as flipping out when he's out of his comfort zone, but it's certainly not the end. Another thing to consider is that he may have decided that he's done. It would be easier to gauge if he were bonded to another bun. Do you have the funds for surgery or prolonged treatment? Have you consulted with the vet? I don't know anything about tumors in buns but the least I can do is bump your post. Good luck! ;)

I'm a proponet of euthanasia when it is the right time. Now, before anyone flips out and thinks that seems heartless, let me explain :)

It is a very, very personal decision and I respect what any individual decides to do for THEIR pet. However, sometimes I think we as humans hold on a little too long. After all...it's a sensitive subject. No one wants to take their pet to be "killed". :(

But I try to look at it as a positive option/choice we can give our pets. Humans have to suffer to the very end...which I disagree with (whole different argument I know) but I try to view it as a blessing in disguise that we can put our pets out of misery if need be.

Now, with all that being said we still can't tell you what to do with your sweet bun. I sometimes feel if you are questioning it, than it may be time. But sometimes it's human nature to want "permission" to do it.

I'm not saying it's easy. I've been through it. We made the extremely difficult choice to euthanize our rottie a few years ago and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We both (hubby and I) bawled like babies and in my grief I said I would NEVER own a pet again because that was just too painful to lose her. Butmof course time healed things a bit and I changed my mind. But today years later, it gives me peace that I ended her suffering. It made me suffer, but I did what I thought was the selfless thing for her.

Anyway, longer post than I intended but I want to say I am so very sorry for your difficult decision but unfortunately its one you need to make. Rabbits do hide pain well so you may never know if there I'd pain there or not. 12 years is an excellent longmlife for a bunny so kudos to you for providing such a great home for your bun :)

Blessings to you in this difficult decision.

The best thing about euthanasia is that we can give an animal a kind and quiet end when it's their time, and save them a long/lingering/painful death.

The worst thing about it making the decision to do it. Even when you know in your heart that it is the kindest thing to do, it is never the easiest thing.

Only you can make this decision - but I would def try to get your bun to a vet at least for an exam. As far as the carrier - does your bun have a towel or fleece that he likes to lay on his cage ? Try putting that in the carrier so it smells like him, and his cage. That may help. Or, if your bun would be quieter, maybe try wrapping him in a towel (head out of course) and hold him in your lap with someone else driving you to the vet.

It's so hard to make this kind of decision. We had Coal for 14 years and she started to really slow down and lose the use of her back legs and lost a lot of weight. I worked at keeping her very hard, but she was in such a bad way that I finally made that last trip to the vet--something I probably should have done a couple months before, but, I just couldn't do it. Didn't want to say goodbye to my little bug that way. With a bunny that is that old, we have to look at quality of life and put our feelings aside. Wish both of you the best.

For your advice. All your posts make me feel better as I slowly get myself to the position of doing the right thing. I have in the past cut his nails but the last time I did cut the quick...thank god for septic lol. Within a few hours he was fine. But I see what u guys are saying, when I accidental cut the quick, he did not show any type of pain. He just sat in my arms quiet as can be. I know I have to get him to the vet. 2 months ago we were there and they said he looks very healthy for a old bunny. But since then he has just gone downhill.

Thank u all again. This is by far the hardest decision I have ever had to make. But like u said, if I'm thinking about it, it might be about that time.

This is a really tough decision and I agree with everything everyone has added thus far to this topic.
Let us know what you decide and know that you will make the right decision for your bun if you believe it to be!

I have had to take more than one of my family members for the last trip to the vets. Each of them were older and suffering and it broke my heart each and every time. As hard as it was for me I held each at the end telling them how much I loved them and how wonderful they were. It brings tears to my eyes now. And it is hard because we have to ultimately make the decision for them , they cannot give their blessing.

I had a very close human family member whom I loved dearly get cancer. Although he was older he was no where near elderly and yet after time it wore him out. He was ready to go. He made the decision to not stay on a ventilator more than two weeks knowing if he was still on and they took him off he would not survive. We were in the room when he took his last breath and moved on without us. This helps me to believe that although our animal family members cannot make the decision there is every possibility that they would if they could. I believe in giving them a fighting chance and fight to the last moment if there is hope they can recover and be well but there also too often comes a time when your realize as hard as it is too say good bye it is the best thing for them. My heart truly goes out to you!

facts: 12 year old bunny, developing growths, blindness, lying quietly in the corner. (lying quietly in the corner can be a distinct sign of pain)

Fact: he's had a good long life with you.

Fact: continues to eat okay.

Fact: it's difficult to let go. I recognize this. I had a fourteen year old rabbit.....Old age does a number on a body it does.

Fact: he acts upset when removed from familiar surroundings

Possibility: you could find him lying dead some morning.

If it upsets him to go to the vet I'd be considering carefully the need to take him. I'd be hoping he'd pass away in his sleep. BUT if I were you, I'd be making an "end of life" appointment with the vet....not a "let's give him a check up" type of appointment. I would not be wanting to traumatize a rabbit of his age if I didn't really need to.

I know it's a difficult decision. Weigh out the facts and do what seems right to you.

Latest posts

Back