OK Is my hubby being to harsh?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
irishbunny wrote:
The yelling and cussing probably scared her more then being smacked on the butt. I wouldn't press charges, because it is a waste of time. There is no proof, only your word against hers and since she is not physically injured and you have no photo or video evidence they can't do anything. I kind of disagree about her possibly abusing her kids because she smacked Fraggles on the butt a bit. I live in a rural area, and the people here just don't view animals very highly, and have no problem kicking their dog in the butt or hitting a cow really hard with a stick, yet they wouldn't lay a finger on their kids. Now, if she was being totally viscious about it and trying to actually cause harm and kicking and smacking the bunny with her full force, I'd be concerned.
I agree with you and the post after yours.
I know lots of people who are not animal lovers and cannot relate to animals but they are excellent with people and children.

Our rabbits "help" us clean all the time, it makes the job 10 times the work and much longer. There are days when I am just not in the mood and I am snippy with our buns, I will swat them them out of the area. I am not hurting them and I think they think it is a game. I know I am far more gentle at correcting them, then are to each other.

I would not be okay with with holding her entire week of pay either.

Do you believe she was trying to cause harm to him?

I know I lightly spank Jynx's butt (granted she's a german shepherd and doesn't even feel it) and I have sworn at Harley when he's done his bunny olympics at 5 in the morning LOL.

I wouldn't let this go if you did in fact feel like she was abusing him. I would press charges if that was the case.

First let me say I am a huge animal lover. We have 5 buns, 2 yorkies, 2 hedgehogs and several fish. This doesn't even cover the kids and responsibilities hubby and I have running a business and life in general. All animals are happy, healthy,overly sociable and bonded. I know myself I am a busy person too. I get having a housekeeper even though we do it ourselves. When it's time to clean the bunnies homes I want to get it done and over with, not play chase the broom and me pick up the mess bun has dumped out. Get it done and then play time is my motto. I for one can say I have been frustrated when one or more of our buns decided the dust pan and/or broom were their personal toys at least one time or another.

I think I may be the only one here who feels the actions against not paying the housekeeper are a bit over the top. Everyone is talking about pressing charges against a lady who swatted a bun on the behind, yet nobody sees withholding pay from a person after they complete a job(they were hired for) is wrong. IMHO I would have found out what was going on before jumping the gun with the police and threats of withholding her pay and negative referrals. This housekeeper also has rights as far as her pay and any unfounded negative referrals. I know we all love our buns like children, and yes if it was a child it "might" be different, but it isn't plain and simple.

The courts are overloaded with animal abuse cases and after seeing true animal abuse this doesn't fit the bill in my opinion. I would have been pissed yes, and followed up maybe with the vet if the bun was acting different. I would not have withheld pay if the lady cleaned and this is the only thing she did wrong in your eyes. I would have been given a final check and bid fair well after having a good old southern fashion talk. I do agree with not inviting her back if you are this upset. It's your house and you have a right to decide who you let in. However, most likely the law would take her side on the pay issue if she worked days that she is due pay. As far as pressing charges you can call the police and have them write up a report. That is about as far as this will go without any injuries. The courts do not have time to hear cases based on peoples personal feelings. There has to be evidence the lady injured or intended to cause injury to the bun.

Honestly this is two separate issues."Animal Abuse" and withholding pay. If a child was swatted on the behind for getting into something they shouldn't a DA would not jump and press charges. There has to be a case to prosecute. For those who say they would have jumped physically on this lady, that's over the top also. That would be lowering yourself to her level. You would then be the one behind bars for sure, not her. You would be the one hit in the pocket book in the long run for over acting out of anger. I would really be surprised if the DA picks up this case. In a small town maybe but not in a city with long case loads. Buns being drowned versus a swat out of the way are to very different circumstances imho.

I know we all love our animals as they are our family but sometimes you have to remove the anger and look at it logically. I wasn't there and did not see what the housekeeper did or didn't do so I can't go as far as agreeing here. what I do know is that I am not one to agree without all sides.

I'm sorry you and your hubby were upset as it is very understandable. I am also happy the bun is fine and back to his/her self =)

My buns are trained and they are NOT allowed to tear up whatever they want when outside of their runs. They have safe toys and a huge run full of things bunnies need to thrive.
**sorry for typos, etc.**

Yes, withholding pay for work done isn't legal. An eye for an eye isn't good. Just put the cash in an envelope & mail it to her if you aren't willing to tell the hubby about it & send a check. You'll feel better when you've done it. Be the bigger person.

Jason and I are letting this issue go. Fraggles is unaffected and that is what matters most. When Jason called the police station originally he asked if he could withhold her pay and they said as long as her salary was not in writing (which it was not) then we are under no obligation to pay her. I know it seems very harsh to some of you but we never did file a police report. Jason made a point that a dog or a cat could have defended itself but hitting something as helpless as a bunny is even more cruel. She lost her job here and her job with a friend of our over this plus Jason won't pay her. Who knows this might not be the first time she had hit Fraggles and we were not paying her to be cruel to our rabbit.

Glad Fraggles is okay. Good luck with whatever you decide. I have to agree with most I am unsure about pressing charges too. That is a tough decison.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Jason and I are letting this issue go. Fraggles is unaffected and that is what matters most. When Jason called the police station originally he asked if he could withhold her pay and they said as long as her salary was not in writing (which it was not) then we are under no obligation to pay her. I know it seems very harsh to some of you but we never did file a police report. Jason made a point that a dog or a cat could have defended itself but hitting something as helpless as a bunny is even more cruel. She lost her job here and her job with a friend of our over this plus Jason won't pay her. Who knows this might not be the first time she had hit Fraggles and we were not paying her to be cruel to our rabbit.

Good for you! Thinking about your actions before you do them is always the best choice! Great job!

Jj

Generally speaking, if she was cleaning and you quickly popped down to the store and left your 4 year old child with her and you came home to her smacking your child and cussing and yelling, would you then press charges?

I understand that some people are afraid of animals but some people are also afraid of children and she did not have to hit him with a broom.

Just look at the situation and how bad it was and if you want to take it that far then that is up to you, just depends on how hard she was hitting him, or if she was just nudging him. I think firing her was the right thing to do as there is no excuse for hitting an animal and she disrespected something that was yours and in your own home.

To BlueCamasRabbitry, I think that a vet trip was very appropriate as there is no telling what she might have done before they got home. This is another reason firing her was the right thing to do.

Even though she has kids she didnt do the right thing by you and your bunny, and I am sure she will find another job.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I think its a good, levelheaded decision. I wouldn't pay her either :/ Sorry you had to go through that, and I'm glad Fraggles is good as new!

I'm extremely angry just reading the thread. I'm glad your husband did the right thing and fired her on the spot. In fact, i think your husband acted almost too nice. I would have gone completely crazy on her in addition to firing her and calling the cops. Just the thought of anyone hurting Rabbi boils my blood. Personally, I would have pressed charges. Why? I simply have zero tolerance for people who hit/abuse animals that cannot defend themselves. By pressing charges, next time they try to adopt or buy a pet (from a reputable person) they will be denied because of a criminal history.

Katie and Jason: you did the right thing by firing that lady. She should not have hit Fraggles. Rabbits are very fragile and you did right by taking her to the vet to make sure that Fraggles is okay.

If it was me, I would be worse than Jason and you, Katie. I would have pressed charges on the person for hitting my rabbits and/or cats. Cats run after they are hit by someone. Cats don't retaliate after being hit. Dogs, they can retaliate when someone hits them.

Great job to both of you for firing the lady and withholding her last pay check from you. I would have done the same thing plus press charges.

Please give Fraggles a big hug for me. She is so wonderful.

??? I'm not taking the high road? I kinda think we are handling it well enough. Just cause we are not completely turning the other cheek. People the turn the other cheek over and over again usually get burned a lot. We are not like that.

Hmmmm yeah Katie and her husband have the right to let her go after she hit the rabbit. The house cleaner knew there was a rabbit, said she was ok with it. With holding her pay could be a gray area, but I would have done the same. Also, if I remember correctly, there is no contract between them and the cleaning lady.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Rabbits are not helpless and are quite capable of defending themselves from people. Our cats have been bit, chased and nipped by our bunnies, they are 2 to 3 times the buns size. The dogs have been scratched and thumped and nipped on the face for making the mistake of trying to snitch banana out of bunny cages. I, myself, have scars from one of buns, just from trying take her box out to clean.

I disagree with withholding her pay, I agree with firing her but it makes me feel icky that your friends also fired her without merit.

I don't think she should have any job that allows her close contact with animals. Fraggles was not even trying to defend herself. I kinda felt bad about withholding her pay at first but now I'm glad we did it. Its a lesson learned.....

There is no excuse to hit an animal, period. Ifthe cleanerwas not comfortable with Fraggles then when asked she should have said so. There are so many ways to shoo a bunny getting into your business that hitting is not necessary. Katie's friends also have animals, so it is a good thing they didn't have to find outtheir help isnot animal tolerant with personal experience. I believeKatie is taking the high road by not pressing charges. I totally agree that she should not be working in homes with animals, because she clearly does not know how to deal with them. A pet should not have to defend themselves in their own homes!

There is never a reason to hit a pet ever, I think your husband was right to fire her, because you can't trust her, but if it were me I would give her the last paycheck, she did work for it. I would pay her and be happy she was out of our lives, but I see why he acted the way he did, I can't imagine coming home to anyone hitting any of my animals! So sorry to hear that.

I also clean houses and I pet sit for a couple of friends. I will tell you when I was watching my friend's cat, I was petting and scratching her, she was content and happy and out of no where she chomped on my hand and did not let go. I smacked the cat on the top of the head, she let go and I had broken skin. My friend also has the same problem with her cat, the cat bites when you least expect it. She also growls and hisses when I vacuum and mop.
Animals are very physical with each other, the shove, push and bite to communicate, a light swat with a hand or object, usually does not hurt them. I am in no way encouraging any abuse but I see it as no different than my bun nipping me when she wants me to move or scratch her head.

Latest posts

Back