Odd Behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watership1

Reaction score
I'm a very experienced animal person but this is my first time with a rabbit. I got him from a family who could no longer care for him. He is young (6 months at most) and very friendly. He just has this odd little quirk I am looking to interpret. He is litter trained, so has free range of my room when I am there to monitor him, but if I leave him alone for even a minute, upon returning he will run up to me in greeting, and then run in continuous cricles around me, stopping every now and then to look up at me, as if asking for something. I know it's not food - as I give him food and treats only at certain times. Does anyone have an inkling as to what Pip is trying to communicate to me? I feel bad being unable to respond to those eager eyes. :(

Nothing odd about that...it's a hormonal boy bunny. Bet he isn't neutered. That is a sexual/dominance behavior. Actually, it is kind of a compliment since he is claiming you as his own. He will become more aggressive with that behavior, including attempting to mount you, as well as start spraying urine. The quicker you can get him neutered, the less time it will take to purge the "boy bunny" from his system. The best response you can give him is to get him neutered.

And since this is your first rabbit, be aware that your "dime store" variety vet isn't skilled enough to treat a rabbit. These guys are much different than a dog or cat....they are much more like a horse. In fact, many of the medical treatment I use here are based on horse protocols.

Randy

Watership1 wrote:
I'm a very experienced animal person but this is my first time with a rabbit. I got him from a family who could no longer care for him. He is young (6 months at most) and very friendly. He just has this odd little quirk I am looking to interpret. He is litter trained, so has free range of my room when I am there to monitor him, but if I leave him alone for even a minute, upon returning he will run up to me in greeting, and then run in continuous cricles around me, stopping every now and then to look up at me, as if asking for something. I know it's not food - as I give him food and treats only at certain times. Does anyone have an inkling as to what Pip is trying to communicate to me? I feel bad being unable to respond to those eager eyes. :(
it means you are the cats meow:inlove:,rrrr...how do you respond in kind,,,-i get the same treatment,,i always use two hands to pick up and hold him,,he gives me kisses ,then chews on my collar--raisin is my sweetheart:pink iris:sincerely james waller

My bunny does this too! He is also a boy but not neutered yet but I'm going to do it next week. I just noticed today that he is making humming noises, which marveled me since I never heard him utter a sound.

I haven't heard him making any noises - he's a silent bunny for now I guess. :) Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much neutering him would cost? Is it risky for him?

It's not risky at all! It'll cost you in the range of $75 to $175 depending on where you get it done and where you live.

That's good to know. I'll have to start looking into it. Now that I know what the circling is all about, is it abnormal for him to turn in tight circles, as if trying to sniff my hand, when I pet him as he circles me? Such a funny bunny. :)

Latest posts

Back