O/T: My poor kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, my cat, Lucky, developedwhat we thought was an eye infection associated with his chronicURI. I took him to the vet today to get some meds for it, butit turns out he had some sort of injury to his eye that resulted in anulcer. The vet is afraid his eye might rupture! Ijust don't know what to do, I'm heartbroken. He's my baby,I've had him since I was 16 and he was this sick little 4 week oldkitten someone left on my porch. I can't stop crying, I'm soupset. Basically it comes down to, either the antibiotics shegave me work quickly or I have to decide between a $700 operation toremove the eye or have him put down. He has this chronic URIand a heart murmur and is almost 10, so having surgery is a big risk nomatter how you look at it. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Please pray for my baby to get better. I know it soundssilly, but he's the last animal we had when my Dad was alive, sosomehow he's like a link to my Dad. I just can't stand tothink of losing him.

Jen

Oh Gosh, Jen,

I'm sosorry. Ican hear the pain you're in and Iso wish there was somethingI could say or do for your little one. My heart, thoughts, and prayersgo out to you. It's not silly at all about being the lastanimalalive when your father was stillalive.Been there, feltthat.It's very very difficult.

I'm going to sign off and saya prayer right now.

-Carolyn

Cirrus : you poor Dear ,

its been one thing after another for you, I will Light a candle for youand your babies , harddecisions no one should have to make, Iam so sorry !

I'm so sorry, I know how it is to love a catlike you do him. Just the mere thought of anything happening to myLestat can make me cry.

You'll be in my thoughts. *hugs*

Hello Jen,

So sorry to hear of your little cats problems. It is so difficult to know what to do for the best for pets sometimes.:(

I just wanted to add that my sister had a cat Cleowith acataract(about ten years ago)and it had it's eye removed whenit was 16 years old. She went on to live another two years and theoperation was a success.

But I guess every case is different and Cleos operation wasnt as expensive. Hope all works out for the best whatever you decide.
Thinking of you
Take care

ND

Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope he getsbetter soon. One thing I don't know if this helps or not. I don't thinka cat of ten is all that old. I think the average age of acat living till is about 17 or 18 years so he may have many yearsleft. Last summer Tigger my oldest cat was attacked by twodogs. She was about 14 yrs. She didn't need any surgrythough. If your cat does have a operationsomething that i did for mine when she was at the vets for the attackwas i took my sweater that i was wearing and gave it to her for her tokeep while she was there. When she was there theyhad a cat in there that was 21 years old. They were joking that it wasold enough to drink.

Cristy

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about yourcat. I know how hard it is to have an animal that you love sodearly get sick. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jen, I cried. I am so sorry. I will keepyour baby in my prayers. I know how painful this decision is. We wereforced to make it when my 23 year old Siamese got suddenly ill. I am soupset. I wish I could say or do something to make it better for you andhim. I am so sorry. I'm here if you need to talk ok?

Tina

Oh, Jen, i'm so sorry to hear that. Thosedicisions are so hard to make. But, you must look at the facts andprobability of living.

But, be sure not to overlook one crucial thing, will your cat be happy? Or in pain?

It's such a tough descision, may God bless you and guide your descision.

I understand exactly what you meant how this cat is a link to yourfather. Little trinkets my grandpa had laying around his house andseemed trifle are a big deal to me.

Ellie

Hi Jen,

I'm definitely adding my prayers. I understand how hard it is to befaced with such decisions...but I also believe in the power of groupprayer.

If it's of any comfort, a few years ago I had a friendwhosedog was plagued with all sorts of health problems (epilepsy, digestiveupsets, etc.), and one of the many things he had wrong was he developeda severe infection in his eye. The vet had to remove it, but theyactually inserted a glass eye for him. This happened whenthedogwas around 2 years old, and the last time I was in touchwith my friend (a couple of years ago) his dog was still goingstrong...if he is still around he will be 11 years old now.

I'm praying that the antibiotics do the trick. Oh, one thing that mayhelp...try as much as you can to set aside your fears and instead,picture Lucky as fully healed. Give thanks for the healing as if it hasalready happened. I know just how hard it is to let go of fear, butwhen you do, sometimes miracles occur.

Sending prayers and hugs to you and Lucky...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.It's so funny, he's not acting sick at all. He doesn't seemto be in any pain. He just goes about his normalday. I know he would adjust just fine, no matter what, he'slost the sight in that eye already, and he's taken it all in stride.

I've been to work and back home and taken a little nap, I think I canlook at things more rationally now. I'm just going to take it1 day at a time and see and pray that the eye doesn'trupture. The surgery is risky because of the heart murmur andthe chronic URI, his age really isn't a factor, 10 isn't very old for acat at all, but the vet thinks he would probably come throughit. I have to figure out how financially I'm going to dothis, but I've done it before, just in case the eye wouldrupture. Right now it just seems like I can't catch abreak. Things just keep going wrong.

Again, thanks and please keep praying for him.

Jen

the vet hospital i work at has a payment plan called Care Credit as you vet if they have it it's great!

if i were you i would go thru with the surgery and if he does die onthe table at least you know you were trying to do what was best for him

that is just my opinion hope it helps tho

shelly

funbunbun wrote:
the vet hospital i work at has a payment plan called CareCredit as you vet if they have it it's great!

if i were you i would go thru with the surgery and if he does die onthe table at least you know you were trying to do what was best for him

that is just my opinion hope it helps tho

shelly
I asked about making payments and they don't do that. I maytry to get him a second opinion with another vet, one that will workout payments.

Jen

I finally got to talk to Shawn about Lucky latelast night. He didn't understand what the questionwas. He simply said: "If he needs the eye removed, then we'lldo it. We're not going to let him die, we can fixthis." He's so great. I swear he loves that catmore then I do. LOL But, we also decided wedefinitely want a second opinion before we do anything, so I'll becalling his old vet in Pittsburgh this morning to make an appointment.

Lucky took his medicine like a trooper last night. He didn'tlike the pill, I put it in some Nutrical and shoved that on the roof ofhis mouth, so he had to eat it. He didn't fight the eyeointment at all. He was such a good boy. He doesn'tknow when to slow down the insane guy. I shut him in Harley's(lab/rottie) kennel for a little while to let the eye stuff settle andthen he went back to fighting with Jake, my yorkie. He alwaysseems to get the best of that dog. LOL

I haven't seen him yet this morning. He's a little angry withhis Mommy today. He pouts for days after going to the vet,but he seemed to like the lady yesterday (first time he saw her), hepurred the entire time we were there. Maybe he won't pout fora week, just a couple of days. LOL

Jen

Lucky sounds like a real sweetie. I amso glad you are getting a second opinion. Shawn is an awesome guy inbook. I'm glad Lucky isn't letting this slow him down. I will continueto keep you and Shawn and Lucky in my prayers. I've been thinking aboutyou both.

Tina

Well, he is actually looking worsetoday. His eye is actually a little bloody. I madehim an appointment with my brother's vet for Friday and then we'll makea decision. Shawn is determined that if he needs the surgery,he's going to have it. Lucky and I are really lucky to havehim. (That's how Lucky got his name. He was reallysick when we found him, and the vet said he was so lucky to have foundus.) I'm worried about him, but we'll get throughit. Shawn keeps telling me, not to worry because it's goingto be ok.

Jen

Latest posts

Back